Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need an advice

lovemypetllovemypet Posts: 4
edited 03/16/2015 - 11:18 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I’m looking for help, recommendations about my condition. I have been suffering chronic back pain for the past 8 years. I have small herniated disk L5-S1. In the past had PT and facet/ SI joint block and did help.
To make my story brief, I'm disabled now, I’m just 47 and been home for the past 3 years. My symptoms are getting worse, but at the same time they are unique to me.
I have a lumbar pain that travels across my back from right to left side. But the right side it’s the worse. I feel a constant dull, nagging pain, pressure and sometimes burning. I can’t sit, walk, and stand for any normal period of time.
I have seen many spine surgeons; all just focus on my disk. The last Dr from xxxx Hospital in NY is the only one mention the SI joint. I had a CT scan and its normal, but the SI joint injection relieves my pain, no for too long but it worked.
I been doing some research and statistics shows patients with post op period more than 2 years are suffering same pain after I Fuse or worse. I postpone going back to the surgeon because I’m terrified to have a spine fusion and I Fuse. My goal is if I need surgery is be pain free after.
Does anyone out there had had I Fuse in NJ or NY and is willing to share their experience, results. I would like to have some advice and Drs Name recommendations.
I'm desperate, this is a condition for a millionaire. I depend on others for everything.
Thank you.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • TraceySTTraceyS Posts: 2
    edited 03/24/2015 - 7:23 PM
    To "Love My Pet":
    I am currently waiting for work comp approval to have SI joint fusion. I have been disabled for over 10 years and have had more than 10 surgeries, including Spinal Surgery. I have investigated a lot and sought out a lot of advice. SI Joint surgery is a terrible surgery. I would avoid it at all costs, but there is nothing left for me. My SI joints are completely dysfunctional, leaving me almost bed-ridden. I bout myself a long time with injections. If they work for you, do them! Also, your pain sounds more like my earlier back pain when my discs and nerves were the primary issue. I wish you good luck.!!
  • Lisa JoyLLisa Joy KentuckyPosts: 21
    I'm not sure why some people have such a bad view of six joint fusion surgery. I have suffered for over ten years and had a spine fusion from s1-l4 then one year later I was no better. I finally went to a natural pain doc who examined me and said it's your site joints. She worked with me for 5 years and it kept getting worse. I had 2 opinions and both said since fusion was my only hope. There are numerous studies that show since fusion surgery has over a 90% success rate if done within 6 months and 75% if done after and this is just for pain. No surgery is 100% but when you've done everything else what do you have to lose?
    Lisa Joy

Minor scoliosis, fusion of S1-L5-L4, discs replaced at L4/L5 and L5/S1 2007, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, left and right SI Joint dysfunction with fractures along illiac crest, and vacuum phenomenon.
  • LoveMyPet. You say your scans don't show any SI damage... Before they inject your SI they numb the area. Have you tried trigger point shots in that area? It could be that the damage in your spine is causing severe spasms & the pain isn't actually coming from your SI. Before I even considered surgery (& before any reputable surgeon should perform surgery) you need to be completely sure that your SI is to blame. How many times have you tried the numbing & steroid shots into your SI?

I'm sorry. I know what it's like to live with chronic pain. At times I feel like I would do pretty much anything to take the pain away. No surgeon should be promising you zero pain from fusions. Do you feel like you've exhausted all concervative ways of managing your pain?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hello TracyS, I'm sorry your condition has not improved. I appreciate your advice. This back injury changed my life 360 degrees. I'm just 47 years old and been disabled for the past 5 years I feel devastated.
    I wish you all the best and please let me know how are you doing.
  • Hello EnglishGirl, my scan it was normal. You are absolutely right, we need to consider all conservative treatment first. I had SI joint and Facet injections in the past. Recently the PM did SI only, indicated by the surgeon. I was off medication for 2 weeks .
    I don't like to take a lot of meds, because I'm home when the pain is increasing go to bed and rest.
    It's horrible to live with chronic pain, but there is not warranty after surgery I will feel better. Difficult decision????????
    Thank you.