Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Microdiskectomy after ESI'S question.

mimseymmimsey Posts: 4
edited 03/16/2015 - 9:54 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've tried to find out as much about a surgery I'll be getting Mar 24th, which is a L5-S1 discectomy. At the moment I am pretty much pain free, but since May of 2013 I've had 9 ESI. Each time they help with the radiculopothy but only for a few months at a time. When the medication wears off I either can't walk or stand or sit up straight, it becomes excruciating. I'm just wondering how many of you would go through with the surgery? My surgeon said I have a narrow spinal canal by birth, and that eventually I'll need the fusion for that disc. My current pain level is a 1 to 3 depending on my activity, but I do have numbness that's kind of painful from the back of my right thigh through my calf, and into my heel and the side of my foot. It's so weird because most people wouldn't associate pain with numbness.

I've read quite a bit on here about my condition, but I figured I would ask people for their opinions. I know the steroid may last forever, but I have my doubts. Especially since the previous ones haven't lasted for a long period. I'm a 38 year old male, so I guess the getting older effect is coming into play now.

• Hi,
    I had this surgery done last November. I had a herniated disc that was pressing on the spine causing a lot of pain while standing. I had a lot of numbness too. After surgery was done, the pain was gone. It comes back a little for a few weeks, but its just the nerves trying to sync back. It's been over a year now, and haven't had any more issues! My incision is very small, and if I were you I'd get it done. You won't regret it!!
    Good luck !
  • Thanks Kathy, as I sit here typing this I have some back pain and hip pain nothing to bad just the norm I guess. I know many people have had great success with the ESI, but mine eventually wear off I guess, and that's whats prompting me to go ahead and have the surgery done. I'm glad to hear your story and outcome it makes me feel better about getting it done. I just wonder if anybody here is in the same boat as me. Getting the shots, and being pain free for a period, but ultimately deciding to get the surgery because the short period of relief due to the shots.
  • i am still confused on whether the shots are supposed t be permanent and help the disc to heal, or if they make you worse.
    do you feel worse once the shots feel off than you did before getting them or jsut the same?
  • For some people the shots last forever, for others like me they only have a limited effect. As far as when they wear off the symptoms are usually the same, I always have the burning rope down my leg sensation. And usually can't stand very long or walk, it takes 2 7.5 hydrocodone just to ease the pain. So like I said for some people the shots are all that is needed, and for others a different route has to be taken. If I didn't know any better I'd say the shots are starting to wear off now, I woke up this morning with a sore back, maybe I just slept on it wrong. And from what I understand if the disc is going to heal it will do it within the first 8 to 10 weeks after herniation, again I'm no expert. If anyone is asking me for advise I would say do all the conservative treatment you can first.