Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

aftercare for ACDF surgery

Will I be able to do computer work after three months of my ACDF surgery? What kinda of aftercare will I need?
Lucybell
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
    When I had that surgery, my aftercare wasn't too much? I was able to pretty much take care of myself. My husband did change the dressing daily for me. The incision pain wasn't that bad. As far as computer work after 3 months, I'd be asking your doctor that question. I would think that looking down at a computer screen for any length of time, would be uncomfortable.
    Cathy
  • I had artificial disks inserted at C5-6 and C6-7 on Jan 12. So I'm approaching the 3 month mark and am back to work full time. I do computer work on and off throughout my day with little trouble. You just need to get up every 40 minutes or so and take a quick walk to stretch. I am also getting a device attached to my desk that will enable me to alternate sitting and standing while working on the computer. Also I would strongly encourage you to gradually go back to work; first half days then work up to full days. The first couple weeks back were difficult. Hope this helped.
    BJB16
    C5/6, 6/7 acdf Jan 2015
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    good for any spinal condition.
    I was a programmer for over 35 years and spent up to 12 hours a day sitting at a computer. I

My conditions have been up and down my spine (lumbar, thoracic and cervical)

I spent a year or so working with Physical Therapists, Doctors, Furniture makers, etc to come up with the best ergonomic workstation. We came up with many good solutions (monitor heights, eye level, mouse and keyboard usage), but the one that we
    had the most problem with is the chair. The final result was a chair that had lumbar, thoracic and cervical support. Provided adjustable supports for hands, arms and wrists... It did so much, but it was also the ugliest thing I had seen. I was given it to 'test drive' In the end, the final

Is that there really isnt any best ergonomic workstation, monitor, keyboard, mouse or chair to do it all.

The BEST action that anyone can take is to make sure you take breaks while working. You should not stay any longer than 75 minutes at the computer. It would even be better to stop every hour and take about 10 minutes to stretch, walk around, etc... Then come back to work.

That was my final analysis for the company I worked with, which they did start to implement.

So, to answer your question, First, get our doctors approval to start working at a computer after three months and then Second, start to plan your day, incorporating the breaks. That will be the best for you in the long run.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had a C4-C5 and a C6-C7 done on May13th. Feeling pretty good, a little stiff and sore. Wanting to get back to mowing my grass and riding my motorcycle. Anybody have any idea how long that will be??
advertisement