Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is surgery urgent to have with Cervical Myelopathy?

I have lost function of my left arm, right thigh is completely numb, right leg and foot are much more cold then left leg, bladder control way decreased, very hard to walk anymore, It's scary. They are getting me in for an MRI as soon as my insurance pre approves it. If it's really bad they will be doing survey quickly. Is this something that needs to be done, or should one wait? Thank you for any replies!
Susan Kleinbauer

• Have you been diagnosed w/myelopathy? Your symptoms certainly sound typical. If the MRI shows compression of the cord, it's probably not a good idea to wait too long. However, you should have time to get a couple of opinions from Drs. I had an ACDF 5 mos. ago for myelopathy and used a neurosurgeon. You can also seek out an orthopedic spine surgeon.
  • I had a severe herniations in my cervical spine that a neurologist missed for over a year. Yes.. a neurologist missed spinal cord compression. The spinal cord was being smooshed!!
    I was seeking a second opinion after all that time and the Dr that I saw referred me immediately to neurosurgery and they considered it urgent. I had gait imbalance, weakness in my arms and hands and urinary urgency. The longer those symptoms are present, the lower your chances are to recover. I had a 3 level acdf surgery and came out with the nerves still damaged. They aren't sure if they will ever regenerate. If I had known about the compression on my cord, I would have immediately opted for surgery. Nerves are slow to recover. I don't want to paint an ugly picture for you, so try keep positive. This is just my personal experience, and every body is different. But know that it's nothing to screw around with. If a Neuro is saying you need decompression, don't wait if you are already experiencing all those symptoms. You risk them becoming permanent... I hope you get better. Positive thinking goes a long way....