Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice for anyone considering surgery

Gabriella20GGabriella20 Posts: 18
edited 03/17/2015 - 8:49 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I would like to give advice for anyone who's considering neck and back surgery. I'm 25 years old, with 4 herniated discs and a fractured bone in the lower back. I have pinched nerves going down my arms and legs.In the last 12 months, I've had 6 epidural injections, 3 neck and 3 back, as well as 2 trigger point injections due to extreme muscle spam traveling to my ribs. Every time I'd get that pain, I felt like I was about to faint. Today is 2 weeks since my first fusion surgery, neck. Pain is gone, my arms feel great, but most of all, the knight I was waking up with and going to bed is GONE. Recovery was better than I expected. Anyone who is fed up living in constant pain. Surgery is the was to go.

All spine patients are different and need to do their own research and need to take advise from a medical profession before undergoing surgery also remember all surgery has risks. It is a personal choice, and best to try conservative treatments first.
http://www.spine-health.com/blog/considering-spine-surgery-what-you-need-know

Liz spine-health moderator
Gabriella
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Good to hear. I'm scheduled to have a mi'crodiscectomy on my L4/L5 disc soon. This helped a lot and would love to hear how your other surgeries are going.
  • Aiden5974- So far, I'm recovering from neck fusion, waiting to be scheduled for back surgery. Want to get everything done as soon as possible and start living a normal life. From my experience, positive attitude and just being prepared both physically and mentally post op makes a huge difference. My doctor told me today that most people say boredom is the biggest challenge after surgery. You just need to find something to do. I keep reminding myself, I only have 1 health and need to take care of myself and let my body heal. Also, walking is great way to start gaining strength. Good luck to you, and would like to know how your feeling after surgery.
    Gabriella
  • Dear all,
    I would like to know if you can sleep well after neck surgery.
    I have a feeling that the blood circulation is weakened while lying down.
    So I end up feeling very thirsty and tried after waking up.
    Sometimes, insomnia sets in.
    Is your quality of sleep affected after surgery.
  • Hi,

I've using Zzzquil to help me fall asleep faster, want to stay away from taking more narcotics. I sleep on my side with a pillow between legs. It takes the pressure of the spinal cord. You can also try sleeping with a pillow behind knees when sleeping on your back. Sometimes it's hard for me to find a good position but that's because I have 2 herniated diccs and a fractured bone in looser back. The quality of sleep is good, except past few days I've had extreme chest pain so I wake up very tired. Do you wear a night brace for bed?
    Gabriella
  • Hi Gabriella, great news on your surgery. I'm probably looking at the same type of surgery that you just had. I had an MRI last week, and I just met with my primary doctor yesterday. He's sending me to a surgeon, that I hope I can see in the next couple of weeks. You didn't say what part of your neck you had the surgery on. My problem area is C3-C4 through C5-C6. I'm not new to back surgery as I had a laminectomy on my L5-S1 back in 1991. I'm not as young now, (i'm58) as I was then so I know I'm not going to heal as fast as I did back then. I wish you luck on your healing process and please keep us posted on your continued success. Ken.
  • Hi Ken, Thank you! I had C5-C6 ACDF. One surgery done, one more to go. Waiting for another fusion but with bone graft on L5-S1. Hoping it will go as smooth as this one, although when I read about horrible pain and recovery some people post about, I have to admit I'm scared to death.. Can you recommend anything that helps to manage post op pain, aside from meds. I want to speed up recovery time and go back to living a normal life. It's been over a year since my car accident. Good news is I quit smoking, its been almost 2 months since my last cigarette :) Wish you good luck and keep us posted how you're doing.
    Gabriella
  • Hi Gabriella. One of the best things you could do is quit smoking. Excellent job. Bravo! :) I still smoke. I know I shouldn't, but it's so hard to give them up. My doctor wants me to either cut way back on my smoking, or quit it altogether. My post-op pain after my lumbar surgery wasn't too bad. I followed my doctor's orders to the T and I recovered fairly quickly. I had to change my career after my surgery (I was in construction) but it wasn't bad at all. Unfortunately, my lumber region has started bothering me again. I had a good 23 years after my lumbar surgery, so I'm not going complain about that. I need to take care of my neck first and then we'll take a look at my lower back. I'll check back here soon to see how you're doing. I wish you continued success on both your neck, and your lumbar region. Take care. Ken
  • It has been nearly a year after my c5-6acdf. But i cant sleep well though i hv tried the means as advised. I woke up with thirsty throat, dried nose and dried mouth. Seems that blood cannot reach up to my brain.
  • katie.e.kkatie.e. Posts: 27
    edited 03/23/2015 - 8:07 AM
    Hi Gabriella, I'm 23 and am in a similar, but slightly different boat than you are. I have 2 degenerative in my thoracic that cant be helped and one in my lumbar that is also bulging and have osteoarthritis at 3 levels.Unfortunately mine was just purely poor genetics, so im likely to continue to have bad discs.. Have you been given the option of fusion or a disc replacement? I am currently doing my research between the two so that I can make an educated decision as to which route to go. Let us know how your lumbar goes as I am likely having my surgery in the next couple of months. If anyone else has has lumbar surgery as far as fusion or replacement, please let us know how it went... at 23 im not looking forward to either option (except for the sheer fact that i will FINALLY get relief) Thanks!
  • Hi Katie,

This may sound strange, but I'm so glad there are people who can related how hard it is to deal with this kind of pain in your early 20's :)

I really didn't have much options other than 2 fusion surgeries and a bone graft for lumbar. At this point i'm willing to do just about anything to have somewhat normal life. It's good to do your research, knowledge is power, but at the end of the day you have to trust your doctor. I learned to have low expectations, that way I'll never end up disappointed.

Best luck to you, hope everything goes well. I'll definitely let you know how the other surgery goes as soon as my health issuance changes mind, and decides to pay lol....

Gabriella
  • Hi All,
    I've had ACDF surgery, C4-C7, 3 weeks ago. Before that I was hospitalized for about 12 days back in Dec 2014, for horrible nerve pain that comes with bulging discs. Thankfully, that pain is gone! Recovery hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, but the sleeping isn't pleasant. After I left the hospital in Dec, my family got me one of those 'hospital' beds, where the head and foot can adjust. I was sleeping upright for about 2 months. Physiotherapy and traction helped me during this time, to get back to a somewhat normal sleeping position, just about 3 days before surgery. Now I'm back to sleeping upright, and can't find a comfortable enough position to sleep through the night.
    I've gradually gone from about a 75 to 30 degrees inclined position. Still have alot of muscle pain and tightness. I've tried not to take any drugs to help me sleep tho, as I really want to be off any meds. Hopefully it will improve, as I heal. I tried a nap yesterday on my own regular bed, but was most uncomfortable and painful. Having that special bed has helped alot. There are foam wedges that can aid with sleeping more comfortably as well.

Sharida.
  • Gabriella, i sent you a message to your inbox!
  • I was in a MVA a year ago and was in denial and have tried other ways to deal with this. Went to another doctor on the 1st. I have severe stenosis and signs of myelopathy. He wants to perform a four level fusion. I am scared and have not read anyone with good outcome of this type of surgery. He said I would be able to go back to work in two weeks....I find that very hard to believe. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • All surgeries are different but I can not imagine you back in 2 weeks my original surgery was a microdisectomy with no fusion and the surgical recovery was 6 weeks. Unfortunately I'm now out 11 months...can you imagine what happened there...
    This can't be happening
  • Ret- its been 6 weeks since my c5-c6 ACDF. I can tell you from my experience you will NOT be able to go back to work 2 weeks post op. I was supposed to start physical therapy this week, but constant headaches for the past week sent me to ER, I was there for 8 hours and now I need to see a neurologist..Every time it's going to rain I'm in excruciating pain. My advice to you is get a second opinion! spine surgeon and neurosurgeon! Fusion recovery is about 3 months
    Gabriella
advertisement