Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 5 weeks post op

jljohnson740jjljohnson740 Posts: 1
edited 03/17/2015 - 9:59 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an L5 herniation and a nerve was trapped. It happened last June and became increasingly worse by Fall. At any rate I had surgery and will be 5 weeks post op this coming Monday. I don't feel much when walking so that seems to have been taken care of. However the nerve was swollen when I had the surgery and I saw my doctor this past Thursday. Incision has healed well and I told him that I was still having cramps or whatever they are in that right leg and mostly late in the day as always and at night. I have muscle relaxers for now and can get some relief from them. He is an excellent surgeon and has been very good to me about everything. He explained that the fact I am not feeling pain now when I walk is every indication that the nerve will heal. He released me telling me to ease in to regular activity and that I have no restrictions. I keep three of my grand children every day 5 days a week....ages 6,4, and 2. I keep house, mop floors,constantly on my feet as anyone can imagine. The youngest weighs about 28 lbs. I decided that since I'm retired I would take one more week..this week...to see if I can really feel like I can just go back and start this again. I did clean the house this past Sat but I have been very cautious. Tonight I can't sleep so I've had to take another relaxer and an Aleve, Last night I didn't sleep 5 hours due to the right leg pain. I know that nerve is irritated and I understand that. The nurse told me two weeks ago it would take about two more weeks to be better. The doctor told me to call if I had any problems this week. Well I told him I took a muscle relaxer at night and he didn't seem too concerned about that. He seems convinced, since he went in there and saw that nerve and all has healed well, far as he knows, that I am going to recover. I did have a spinal leak but I only weigh about 98 lbs so that was a risk all along as I was told. It healed fine though and I never had any complications from it. I am so depressed though at this point that I just burst out in tears when no one is here. My husband is and has been great about all of this but I think he just doesn't know what to do about me now. I lived with that pain for 8 months so I'm not a big baby. During that time I had nothing to take because my regular doctor sent me to PT and then he finally had an MRI done. He wouldn't give me anything until he saw that MRI. He called me in and had already talked to the surgeon I had mentioned to him and he couldn't wait to fill a prescription as fast as he could write it out that day! I wanted to punch him in the mouth. Just because someone walks in on their own two feet and continues to do what they always did every day...these doctors think you aren't telling the truth. There was no one else to keep these kids and I stayed until they decided to do surgery. I don't know now if this pain is ever going to go away. I walk and walk daily. I have to go back next Monday to take care of these children. I take one to preschool and of course pick the eldest up after school. There were days I could barely keep my foot on the gas in the car for the pain. I just wish I could feel hopeful. My lower back hurts still due to the muscles having been disturbed and at this point I can't even believe I have to go back...but...the other grand parent can't fill in any more and my daughter-in-law has no intention of finding anyone else..she won't let strangers drive her kids. Guess if I'd have dropped dead she wouldn't have had a choice. I love these little girls like my own so I want to go back for two more years til the youngest is in school all day. I've felt so all alone. My daughter is a nurse and has three kids and she sent me one or two texts after surgery(she lives in the same town) but never offered to do much...way too busy. My husband took off for a week. Course I didn't expect that my daughter would care much...ever since hers all started school and she didn't need me any more. I kept those three for years. I can't stand the fact that I feel sorry for myself. I'm one of those people who never stops moving...always doing something so I've learned a great deal from this situation. If the pain gets worse during the night I just get up and sit and cry where no one will know I am doing it. I guess if he says it will heal then at some point again in my life it will stop...I'm so afraid now that it won't that I've just let fear take over I'm sure. It's good to be able to come here and just vent some of it out. I will go back next Monday and I will get through it and wait it all out..maybe I will be one of the lucky ones and it will go away one day. Thanks for listening.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery