Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Morphine Pump Trial - Can Anyone Provide First Hand Experience ?

I am scheduled for the trial on next Wednesday March 25th and I am nervous about the procedure. Can anyone walk me through the step by step process of the trial ? and yes the doctor did explain it but I would like a first hand account from someone who went though it...

Thank you in advance for your help !

• I just logged on to this website looking for some answers and saw your post. I had the trial today, 18 March, for the possible implant of the Medtronic pump. I'll give a brief recap because its late and I need to go to bed. I was dropped off at the hospital at 9:30 AM and walked into the Ambulatory Surgical Unit. They had me sign a bunch of forms, strip down, and put on a gown. A nurse came over and stuck an IV in my hand, took my BP, and asked about things like allergy to medicine. In short order I was rolled down the hall on a stretcher into the area where they do these procedures. While I was waiting for my Dr. to show up the Anesthesiologist came over and asked when did I last eat, any allergies to medicine etc. My Dr. walked in and spoke to me for a minute or two, the Anesthesiologist started his medicine (profolol?), and I was rolled into the operating room. I rolled over off the stretcher onto the operating table so my back was up. The anesthesia must have took effect because the next thing I knew I was wide awake and the whole thing was over. The only discomfort I had was a slight jolt in my left leg when the needle hit the nerve. Or did I dream it? In my case this procedure was a piece of cake. I hope it is for you too. Then I was rolled back to recovery room and was observed for about three hours. I was looking for answers here because nothing changed. I felt no different after the procedure as before. I still don't over 12 hours later. The Dr. said the main purpose of the trial was to be sure I had no adverse effects to the medicine, and we will tinker with doses. But does that mean I need the pump implanted to do that? What if the pump flat out doesn't work in my case? Well, never a dull moment. Good luck, Erik
  • For sharing your experience, I feel a little better knowing its a brief experience and not too much to worry about since most of it will take place while asleep.... I guess Wed. will tell for sure....Good luck to you moving forward !

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    But trust me all I felt was a small jab. Then sent to recovery for observation, I was crying when the doc came in to see me and he was ready to add more meds and I told him no I didnt need it, for the first time in years and we are talking over 10 i was pain free.
  • I had my trial last Wednesday. It was the single injection test. I felt no change in my level of pain until 24 hours afterwards, and I'm not 100% sure it was due to the trial, but I think so. It lasted for a day or so. I would like to have had the more definitive infusion trial, but the VA has contracted with an outside doctor to implant the pump and I doubt they'll spring for another, more costly, trial. The doctor who did the trial told me he injected a low dose of medicine, and his main concern was that I had no adverse effect from the medication and once the pump is implanted he will adjust the dose and he felt certain I would get more pain relief. I just wish the trial was more conclusive. Erik