Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help advice needed PM

Bella LunacyBBella Lunacy Posts: 9
edited 03/18/2015 - 4:18 PM in Pain Management
This may be long, so I apologize. I found this forum and honestly have no where else to turn at this point. I have been in pain management for a long time. Plate in my neck, stenois. Herniated disks in my thoracic, lumbar problems, scoliosis, kyphosis, arthritis etc. I could list more.

Anyway, my problems started in November. I had a series of Epidurals in two weeks in my thoracic spine, I am in horrible pain with this problem. I have not been to an ER in five years before November. Two days before my first visit to the ER I received my monthly prescription for pain medicine. Norco 15 and fentanyl patches 50mcg. Fine. I got the second series of injections, and trust me I have had them before, they didn't do anything for me. After the second injection, that night and next day I was in horrible pain, the throbbing kept me up all night. Finally my husband said you better go to the ER something is wrong. I called my pain management office, they told me to go. Now, the problems.

When I went, the doc at the er said the shots probably inflamed a disk. Ok, fine. He didn't give me any pain meds, because I told him I had them at home.

The PM office called me the next day said they wanted to see me. When I got there, they handed me a letter and said they didn't feel like there was anything they could do for me and in the letter it stated that I told the ER doc, that I said it was ok if he increased the medication to take at home. I never said this!
I was angry, through my pain meds away which was stupid, because after being on such meds for so long, I went through horrible withdrwawl on my own for about a month.
Now it seems I can't fine a new PM doc, because this one dismissed me for no reason.
Any advice?

• Speak with your Primary Care Physician to see if they will make a referral to a new PM.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Bella LunacyBBella Lunacy Posts: 9
    edited 03/19/2015 - 10:55 AM
    EMS Guy said:
    Speak with your Primary Care Physician to see if they will make a referral to a new PM.
    I am seeing a new one tomorrow morning and I am afraid to see him. What do I tell him?
  • The doctor is there to help you. No reason to be scared. If you go in and be 100% honest about symptoms and med history, I think you will find he/she will do what they can to help you.

Take your test results with you. They will want to see those. If you have any other treatment records, that would be helpful as well.

Good luck!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • He didn't give me any meds, that is fine. But he scheduled me for more shots. Facet injections? He knew about the past doctor, I just feel he looked at me like a drug addict. No drug test , and I didn't sign a contract. Why?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    is clear up this matter with your previous pain management doctor and what was documented at the ER.
    That type of information is going to follow you wherever you go. So , it is so important that you get that cleared up.

I think the feeling you are getting from the new doctor is that they looked up your previous records and information. Todays medical (EMR) basically medical records shared, allows doctors and other medical professionals to view data.

So, do what you can to clear that up.

But also meanwhile, this pain management doctor basically said there was nothing they could do for you (1) Why, what was their reason? The thing about the ER doctor is separate. They PM doctor and office owes you at least an explanation as to why they will not handle you.

Todays structure in sharing data can be used to help so many people, it will make moving around much easier. However, with anything that is good, there is also a bad side. You are experiencing this now. A blemish on your record, that is how it is being viewed. Its black and white, its not two people talking about it. Even if the ER doctor heard something different from you, its what they documented that is being carried forward.

I know that while you are in pain right now, the last thing you need to do is to clear up this matter. Perhaps your husband can start working on this piece, which again I will stress is so very important.

The injection route might be helpful for you. Without having more details and history about your medical situation, it is very difficult to provide more information. Tell us more and hopefully we can help you more.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Bella LunacyBBella Lunacy Posts: 9
    edited 03/20/2015 - 6:36 AM
    It is such a long story and honestly I find so ludicrous that I am ready to go crazy over it have cried for months regarding it. As I stated numerous issues with my spine and now another diagnosis that I do not know anything about. From an EMC? Injury of sacral nerve roots. When I received the letter from the other pain managment doc, he said that the ER doc said I told him it was ok to increase my meds. I never said that, nor did I ask for meds, or get a prescription. I wrote a letter to the PM doctor and asked that to be inserted in my file, refuting this. However, I just feel I am looked at as a drug seeker, which I am not, I stopped all meds myself in December and have only taken tylenol since. The pain is unbearble. How do I clear this up?

You would need to talk to everyone that has been involved with documenting all of this. You are entitled to see what the formal medical records indicate. That would be your starting point. It might not be easy, but you dont want to have something negative on your permanent records Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Moderator.
  • I have Thoracic Disk herniation, lumbar scoliosis and disk herniation, cervical surgery with plate. Now what ever they found on the EMC test, also, going for another MRI on Monday because I am having a hard time walking
  • Jillybean079Jillybean079 Posts: 266
    edited 03/20/2015 - 11:39 AM
    Did you go to the ER through the hospital where your pain management doc was through? Did the ER try and call your clinic why you were there to notify them? Those are two steps I would greatly advise if this ever happens again. Most PM contracts say you can receive drugs while at the hospital, just not when you leave....although always check. I had to go to the ER twice before my surgery...I went to the hospital where my neurosurgeon was through and had them contact my PM clinic right away. I never had any problems. Plus I printed out all of the paperwork (including the drugs they gave me in the hospital because I was admitted both times) and gave it to my PM doc on my next visits. You can never be too sure. If I wasn't scheduled for surgery or had a neurosurgeon, I would have def went to the hospital where my pain management doc practices so the ER doc and them can communicate....even if they are closed to leave a message. Always get copies of all of your medical records....I would go to the hospital and ask to speak to the ER physician...have them pull up your record and try to have him change this in your record. Then maybe your old pain clinic might even take you back. There had to have been some miscommunication somewhere....who was your nurse? Would she remember anything about your visit and you not asking for meds? She was also first handling your care....If you didn't even receive anything at the hospital or take home any scripts honestly I really don't think they can even drop you just for communicating about it...it has to be something else along with all this....and youll need the records. Get them from your PM doc as well....
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Bulging discs T12-L3
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• They did call him, he also was aware I did not get any meds. He claimed the ER doc said I told him it was ok for the ER doc to tell me that I could increase the pain med I had at home. I never said that. I wrote my pain managment a letter back stating this was not true and to please add my refuted letter to my file. ( He probably wouldn't) I guess I can go to the Er and ask for my records, but, if they talked on the phone, how can I prove anything? I have never abused meds in all the time I have been on them. I am just at my wits end. I am wondering if this new doc believed it, would he accepted me as a new patient today?