Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How common is it???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a L5-S1 Fusion & Laminectomy in April 2007. I had to get a series of EPI's a few months after because I was still having significant pain. I am doing much better now, still the pain is there and I am still on meds. I am only 31 and I wanted to see how mnay ended up needing another back surgery? My doctor says its unlikley but I do have degenerative dic diease as well as facet syndrome. Most of you also have had multiple surgeries so I am wondering if I should prepare for the possibility.

• Yes, I will second what Paul has said. You will find positive surgeries here and you will find members that have not needed further surgery but you will find a lot more members that have needed it because they need the support of the board.
    I had a laminectomy 7 years ago and recently had a fusion but I also have other medical problems that contributed.

If I had realised after the laminectomy how important it was to keep active,stop smoking, keep walking and most of all to keep the core stability muscles strong- then I quite likely may not have needed the fusion.
    So a lot of it is up to us, and how healthy we keep our bodies, but as Paul said, it is a question you really need to ask your surgeon.

Blessings Sara