Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm new and in the UK

I am nearly 60 and I have had problems with my back for over 40 years. I live in the South West of England. My back wasn't investigated until I had a problem with my foot "sticking" to the ground especially when I was tired. I was originally sent to a neurologist as my G.P. thought I could have Parkinsons disease. After several neurological tests I was sent for a Dat scan and a full spine MRI.
Where it was found that I had a fracture at L5 S1 and the nerve roots were being compressed.
I paid to see a neurosurgeon privately as the waiting list was so long. He confirmed my spine needed to be fused as I have nerve damage. I no longer have reflexes in my ankles or knees. My legs are very weak I am having problems climbing stairs especially if I am trying to carry something in both hands (that makes it impossible). It takes me for ever now to do simple tasks like housework as I have to keep resting to readjust my back. My great love of cooking and gardening are all but disappeared as to do them causes so much pain. Even though I have a perch stool to help in the kitchen.
I am a Grandma to a very active 5 year old who I can not enjoy like I should be able to,as Grandma can not even manage to go for a walk. And I am soon to be a Grandma again in September.
I am dreading my operation but long to have a least a chance of being more active again. This being the UK,although I am on the urgent list for my surgery (due to some bad falls and the fact I have 2 disabled daughters who need my help) I have no idea when a bed will be available.
I have been reading the forums for months and it has given me a great deal of help to understand what is happening to me. Hopefully by telling my story it may help someone else.

• Hi bit disappointed nobody has commented on my first post.
    I have a question .
    Does anyone else with spondylesthis suffer with fatigue? I find it so exhausting carrying out simple tasks that most of the time I am shattered.
    I am taking gabapentine x300g codeine x60g and paracetamol x1000g 3 x a day ,trying to stay off morphine before my operation. I don't sleep very well due to the pain but I do manage to get some sleep most nights with the aid of heat pads. Any ones input would be appreciated.