Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello... new to all of this!!!

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, my name is Amanda. I just recently started browsing the web for support forums, cant wait to speak with you all... I hope you can help me with the support and information I'm looking for

Looking forward to chatting

• Hello and welcome to spine-health. It's a greate site and I hope you find all the info you are looking for here. Everyone is so nice and I feel like I've got a whole cheering section along with a slew of helpful hints.

Are you having back problems? You'll have to post more about your condition?

I'm about to have surgery, this Friday, and am scared, more scared about not being able to do anything for awhile. I hate not being able to go and do. I have two kids, but my 9 year old is spending July with his father. My 14 year old will stay home with me and be my nursemaid (I hope). I'm wondering if I can get her off the computer and out of her room long enough. I'll need a electric shocker or something for her. hahahaha....

So anyway, welcome and post more!!!!
  • Welcome to spine-health..Amanda
  • Amanda and welcome to the forum. The support and understanding that you get here can't be matched anywhere else. I look forward to getting to know you more. Take care....Miki
  • Hello Amanda and welcome to the forum...
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please tell us more about yourself. what is your pain problem? how are you treating it? good luck and i hope to see you around the forum. it is a great place to chat or even bent if you need to! Jenny :)
  • I probably should have put all of this before, but here goes. I hope y'all get to read it.

My name is Amanda. I am 27 years old, and stay at home with my 2 year old son. I fractured vertebrae in my lumbar spine when I was 10. Since December, I have had this terrible pain in my spine/butt/hip, pain that was worse than I had ever felt before. Now as far back as I can remember, I have always had back pain. I'm used to it and I deal with it. (If I ever complain about pain my friends joke about how I am a hypochondriac) But this pain was different.

My PCP claimed it was muscle spasms. After 6 months, 3 trips to the ER, and umpteen trips to my PCP, he finally ordered an xray. He still insisted that it was "muscle spasms" and sent me home with 800mg ibu's and flexeril.

It got so bad that not only could I no longer pick up my son, I couldn't even do simple household chores. Even bending over to do laundry was excruciating. I could not stand up straight, and after every few minutes of doing dishes, I would have to lean over and rest my head on the kitchen counter for relief. This is my job... and I couldn't do it. So I demanded an MRI. Two days after the MRI, my PCP called and apologized. Not for ignoring my pain of course, he apologized for "how much pain I must be in" He said that I would need surgery, and that I needed to contact a neurologist, and a neurosurgeon. Now when I called to make the appointment with the neurologist, and told the nurse my MRI results she said "OH! you need surgery" But when I saw the neurologist, he didn't agree. He prescribed Kadian (12 extended release morphine) and sent me on my way. I have yet to see the neurosurgeon, as they are scheduling out to September.

As I am sure all of you on here know, this is very frustrating, and downright depressing. Even after the MRI, my friends still treat me like a hypochondriac or an addict (I wont share my meds, therefore I'm just a greedy junkie) And if I have spoken to 20 people about back surgery, 19 have told me absolutely DO NOT DO IT.

On Friday, my PCP lectured me about not having seen a neurosurgeon yet, and how horrible it is to be taking narcotic pain meds. I should have the surgery and be done with it he says. I left his office in tears.

Its all so dang confusing... I don't even want to talk to my friends or family about it anymore. When I told my friend about taking morphine she actually said to me "Amanda, do we need to have an intervention?" These are supposed to be my friends, and they just don't understand. My mother in law had the nerve to say that they told me I need surgery, just to shut me up!

So anyway, here are the results of my MRI. I don't know how to read this really, so I just put down all of the findings.

MRI findings:

The vertebrae are normally aligned. The heights of the vertebral bodies are maintained. Disc desiccation and intervertebral disc space narrowing is present at L4-L5 and L5-S1.

The conus medullaris is in normal position and demonstrates normal morphology. The cauda equina has a normal appearance.

L3-L4: There is mild bilateral facet hypertrophic degenerative change. Subchondral cysts are seen adjacent to the left facet joint.

L4-L5: There is a diffuse disc bulge with an annular tear. This contacts the exiting right L5 nerve root and causes lateral displacement of the left L5 nerve root. There is mild bilateral foraminal narrowing.

L5-S1: There is a central disc herniation which contacts both exiting nerve roots. There is minimal central canal stenosis.

P.S. I still don't know what subchondral cysts are. I've looked online, and from what I saw, it was related to arthritis???? If anyone knows what this means, can you let me know?

Thank you all so much for listening, that was a lot to write!!!
  • If anyone reads this, and actually understands it... is this "serious" or just "normal" I mean if there were a "normal" back injury.

Depending on which doctor I speak to, its either really bad, or no big deal.

Thank you for your input

• I would ask the NS to look at the films with you. My Neurologist was not as skilled at reading MRI's as the Neurosurgeon. Heck, it even appears that the radiologist missed some things on mine. I hope for your sake, it can be fixed without surgery. Usually, they will try conservative treatment first.
  • Thanks for such a warm welcome... I hope I get the chance to get to know you all better!