Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

after corpectomy and fusion

Hi, I'm 28 y.o. I am 3 weeks after corpectomy of C6, fusion C5-7 with plate.
The surgery went well Smile no pains.. nothing.. symptomes were improved.
Before the surgery, the surgeon said that i will be able to play football 3 months after the surgery. He also said that in the first 1.5 months, a new bone is built around the cage and fuse C5 to C7...(to make it all like 1 bone).
My question is: what happen in the second 1.5 months of the 3 months? What avoids me to start running gradually and even playing football slowly?

• I would think that the second 1.5 months is completing the fusion. However, I gotta say, that's really quick for a fusion to take place on a corpectomy, you are very lucky if it happens! I had C3-6 fused, with a corpectomy of C5. I just had my 3 month checkup a few days ago, and he said 6-12 months til fusion - so no high impact activities until then.
    I am really jealous if you fuse that quick!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• 3 levels? And will u be allowed to do sport such as playing basketball/football?
    I read about 6-12 months on the net but my surgeon and other neurosurgeons said 3 months :/ I really hope they are right and that your fusion will reach the fastest!
  • Fusions can take up to 1 - 2 years to fully fuse.... You could begin within 6 weeks and be done within 3 months or begin in 6 weeks and be done within 6 months, etc.... It is the same process, but everyone is different. For your NS to give you a 3 month time frame to go back to football? That just doesn't seem realistic in my opinion.... Mind you, again, everyone is different.

I wouldn't focus on any of that right now. What you need to focus on is just getting healthy again. If you don't expect anything, you will never be disappointed. Hang tough and be patient.

SPINAL FUSION SURGERY (1 - 3 months Post-Op):

SPINAL FUSION SURGERY (3 months and After Post-Op):

Random Thread:

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • This week I will meet my surgeon again, I guess for xray also. I feel like i can run :/ weird.. Hope everything will be fine. Thank you!! =)
  • TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 03/22/2015 - 2:49 AM
    I'm laughing at you asking me about playing basketball or football. I'm a 43 yo professional female with kids, and I have never been blessed with athletic abilities!! I did run before all this happened, and I won't be able to do that until I'm fused.
    Keep us posted! I'm curious if you really do fuse that quick. I'm not as young as you are, so I'd heal a little slower just based on that. I did see my radiographs this past week, and I'm no way near fusing (I'm in the medical field and look at radiographs daily, albeit not this condition). I hope you fuse that quickly, it is hard keeping ourselves at lower activity.

• TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 03/22/2015 - 2:50 AM
    By the way - what were your symptoms before surgery?

• But anyway u r young too.. so no ability for basketball/football :-P
    At least U R after the surgery :)
    My symptomes were electricity(numbness?) feeling in my 4th-5th fingers in both hands, tremor in my left hand fingers. When i looked above 90 degrees, i felt electricity under my chest and burning muscle above my left knee. The surgery reduced immediately the electricity in my left hand about 80%. 2 weeks after the surgery, the tremor is improved. I am lucky and I wish all the people will feel improvement.
    People are afraid of this surgery but it is nothing..
  • That's awesome that you're doing so well after surgery. Just listen to whatever the doc says and follow it, even though it's tempting to do something because you feel great.
    I agree, the surgery itself wasn't very painful. It's "the other stuff" that can be difficult to deal with.

• Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 03/23/2015 - 5:36 AM
    I'm not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" as it is always a good thing to feel great after a surgery of this magnitude, but remember, you are on a roller coaster ride even if you don't realize it at this very moment. Things can change in an instant, so I would highly recommend that you take this a bit more seriously as anything can and does happen, especially if you jump back into everyday living thinking you can conquer the world.... We have been through it, so accept this constructive criticism. Please take this seriously for your sake and for the sake of your family.

I fused in 3 months 100%. That was 15 months ago... Since then I have felt considerably better and considerably worse, all within the same day! Other times, weeks have surpassed (under good and bad circumstances), so simply take the good with the bad and the bad with the good because I promise you there will be ups and downs throughout your recovery process. I would hate to see you re-injure yourself.

Also note that age doesn't necessarily play a factor in how quickly you fuse or don't fuse. Fusions have failed in both young and older patients. I am no spring chicken, but I fused very quickly. There are a list of variables that factor into each and every procedure done. Everyone is different. Absolutely, your conditioning prior to surgery plays a huge factor so have some faith knowing that if you were in good shape, chances are you will do better, but again, nothing is ever guaranteed.

Sending healing vibes your way....

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • TWynnb and Doug Hell, thanks a lot for your caring!! It's charming to read your comments!! :))
    My condition before the surgery was alright about my legs (only had tremor in left hand and electricity in both hands fingers).
    Doug Hell, theoretically.. after 3 months you could play football? You said you have fused 100% after 3 months. Hope u r alright today!!
    Sure i will listen to my body and i will wait more if needed..
    The surgeon saw me today and told me that the bone is built around the cage after 1.5 months and that theoretically, my plate can be removed after 3 months.
    I really hope i will feel alright the whole way... i will strength the neck muscles in a month..
    Take care and best wishes
  • Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 03/24/2015 - 6:16 AM
    Knowledge is power, especially when it is YOURSELF you're dealing with. Erezs, I have been home for 14 months and am still not where I need to be. Football? Not a chance. That being said, my situation is a bit different than yours as I was in a car accident and sustained several fractures as well as a burst fracture combined with nerve damage....

Those muscles you speak of? They take a great deal of time to get back into shape, so be prepared. This is not going to be a walk in the park for anybody, regardless of how fast they fuse. I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but I firmly believe that you need to get a bit more serious about this situation you are in. I hope you will be able to play football everyday for the rest of your life someday, but please, please nurture your situation/condition before making the mistake of doing something very stupid and putting it all in jeopardy..... Ensure that you are where you need to be before jumping back into the swing of things. Just my 2 cents!

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Ohh accident?? Oh my god, i am sorry to hear! So sad :/ but at least can u walk?
    And i really appreciate u! I swear i will keep on playing football only when i feel i can.. and i will meet my surgeon before..