Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medication merry go round

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Ok, so I was switched to Opana ER from, mepergan forte and percocet, and it works a little bit (seems to take some of the teeth out of it) but I still have breakthrough that's out of control. Muscle spasms are here, check on that, so I think I have to change that too...

While my PM doc is a doll, I get so tired of the medication merry go round, although I realize it is a part of PM to get my pain under control, we may have to try a bunch of stuff- which we have. The Percocet worked ok for 2-4 hours if I was lucky and I switched to ER as I hurt 24/7...My neck and shoulders HURT but I have a PM appointment this month so am just waiting!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Nancy, you are not alone on this one. Many long time chronic pain sufferers go through periods of different medications, so me work, some dont, take this, dont take that, etc
    It was pretty much that way for me for Years until I started seeing my Pain Management doctor over two years ago. One of the first things she did was to take total control of my medications. She started me the Oyxcontin ER (different dosages) and Oxycodone IR 5mg, but more importantly she had me on several different muscle relaxers, different sleep aids,
    nerve pain medication,etc. This went on for about 5 months before we came up with the Right mix of medications.
    Its really not important for me to list those here, but whats important is to find the same blend that is right for you.
    I know you realize that no matter what you take (unless you want to live a life of a zombie) that pain will always be there, its a question of managing it.

Good luck, please let me know how you make out with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • To try and get this fixed, I feel like I am at my pain's mercy, rather than the other way around and I hate it! I know we'll get it, it's just a question of how and when...I tried to tough it out, but I can't, I'm just exhausted. I have realized that a pain-free existence is a pipe dream, but this is NOT manageable for me.
  • My PCP gave me Skelaxin for muscle spasms. It works - as long as I back it up with Vicodin and take it every 3-4 hours instead of every 6. Don't have lots of bad pain except for the muscle spasm OR maybe it is just overriding the other.
    I had 2 level fusion on June 9, but no sleep over 1 -1 1/2 hours and so many drugs leave me wasted as far as energy goes.
    Hope something work soon.
  • The pain is making me sick to my stomach, I can't turn my head without pain and when I do it makes me sick and I can feel it all the way from my head through my shoulder. So since I hadn't heard back from the nurse, I called again as it has gotten worse...My neck and shoulders are throbbing like a rotten tooth, driving me insane, or more so.
  • I go tomorrow to my PM doc and want to suggest I really need something way more longer lasting, this Percocet or Vicodin every 4-6 hours is just not working!!! Fancypants I feel so bad for you hun have you tried Soma it really makes a big difference when mixed with an Opiad.

• Another huge fail for Opana.. Hopefully PM docs will stop Rx'ing the stuff. I know they get kickbacks, but it's really hurting some of us here, sorry fancypants, get your meds changed fast!
  • They haven't called me back since the first time...I'm trying not to get irritated as I know it's not Dr. Martin, it's his staff...They seem to screw up a lot, so I don't know.

I feel so stuck...I called yet again to tell them my symptoms (muscles feel like they're on fire, can barely turn my head, neck is throbbing like a rotten tooth as well as my shoulders, and my lower back is locking up) and that obviously NONE of the meds are working insofar as the muscle relaxers and pain meds...I also told them I'd rather have an ESI, but since I'm stuck in trial limbo I can't have my lawyer pay and I can't afford the thousands of dollars required to have the injection. So the only thing I have is the meds to relieve the pain, stretching isn't working and last time the chiropractor didn't work either, but I saw him yesterday and we are in agreement that I am backsliding or relapsing again...My lower back hurting and locking up is one of the things that starts happening when things are terrible up top! I also get massages when I can afford them, but those are few and far between...

I hate calling multiple times, I really do, but I don't know what else to do as I feel horrible and can't make it stop...I hate calling period, though this office doesn't make me feel as bad for doing it, and I hate asking for different meds but what else can I do! If I don't hear back from them soon I am calling another number, she was supposed to call me back and never did! Am I wrong for calling more than once? I am so desperate for relief, I keep almost crying when I call, my voice breaks up...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    There is nothing more irritating or rude is when a doctor's office does not return your phone calls. I completely understand there are times when the doctor themselves cannot return a phone call, but there is ZERO, repeat ZERO excuses why a doctor's office can not return you phone call, even if to say

"The doctor is in an emergency, the doctor is., and they will get back to you as soon as they can.. Is there any additional message you would like to leave?"

Its hard to get upset with that, at least you know where you stand.

Nancy, I would call one more time, very firm.

Something to the effect that you have already mad multiple phone calls and you do not want to be a pest, but your situation is getting worse. You have several things that need your attention and you dont want to just sit by the phone and wait for a call IF they are not going to call

Problem I have had in the past with doctor's offices, are not with the doctor, not with their true medical staff but with some of the office help. Many times we would call a doctor's office and their office staff would try to give us medical attention. My wife, being in the medical field for almost 30 years now, would just calmly say to them "When you put up a sign stating your credentials, I will start to listen to you, meanwhile, give me to someone who is medically trained!" It works every time
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • them this morning, but nothing back yet...When I called Monday, she got back to me pretty quickly and was going to check on everything and call me right back...No phone call...I called again on Tuesday afternoon stating once again that I was getting worse and the Opana isn't working and the whatever-gesic isn't doing a thing, and yes I'm taking it 2x a day...So I called her again this morning, I'm getting really frustrated, this has been all week! They say they will return your call within 24 hours and they usually do and there's another number to call if you don't receive a call back...

I'm so irritated and frustrated I could scream! Why the heck hasn't she called me back? This is the first time I have ever had this problem with his office, but a lot of the patients have let him know that there are staff problems and he's working on fixing it but seriously, what am I supposed to do? I am dependent upon them for pain management and there's no reason that I shouldn't be able to get this problem resolved, that's their job! And like I said, I hate being at the mercy of my pain, and it's getting worse day by day and I can't do a thing about it! It's not like it's a 5 on a 1-10 scale, I'm at 8-9 which is not good!

I don't understand, I really don't, and I'm getting irritated...I shouldn't have to call this many times and she told me she was going to check with my doc and call back and that was MONDAY! Am I wrong for calling so much? It's not like I'm screaming in the phone to prescribe me a certain medication or acting like a drug seeker...I just don't get it and this sucks!!
  • She said that the doctor didn't think there was a whole lot they could do for me other than the Opana...Seriously? Is this a joke? My only ER options are methadone or Opana? Even I know that's not right, I'm so irritated!

So they're putting me back on the Percocet, which I'm hoping that I've been off of it long enough so that it works...It's been 2 months, but it's the only thing that has worked that we've tried so far...I need to get in to see him, or have my mom talk to him when she goes (we do that a lot, lol)...
  • I'm so frustrated, what am I supposed to do? Please pray for me that the Percocet works, or at least gets me through July 25, because that's when my mom goes in...Thank God I had a mepergan or 2 left because I am hurting so bad that I could hardly stand sitting through the safety meeting, which was ironically about you and your spine- how to lift!

Maybe I can get him to put me back on the Fentanyl patch with meds for breakthrough...I've been on the patch before - my gp prescribed it before he sent me to start PM, so maybe I can try again, I don't think we had the dosage right and I had nothing for breakthrough pain.

I am so tired of this merry-go-round, I want off!
  • Wow I'm so sorry you've had to go through that fancy. I myself know exactly what you're going through, and it really is frustrating. I changed PM doctors partially because my doc had extremely poor bedside matter and would seldom return my calls. I now have a wonderful female PM who returns my calls within hours and she actually has bedside manner, as well as knowledge as to what works the best to manage my pain. I wish you the best, definitely keep us updated!
  • Thanks Allie and everyone, I appreciate your responses and support!

I'm so frustrated I could scream, but I know my mom will talk to him when she has her injection and we'll get things fixed. Sounds dumb, but when you go through office personnel to get your meds I think things get lost in translation unless you need a refill. And I know there's NO WAY that my only 2 options for ER are Opana ER or Methadone! But I also know that it coming from my mom, as she's 60, things are more likely to get resolved. Silly, but I know doctors are less likely to prescribe some meds because of my age...Even though I need major neck surgery!

It's not like I was making an outrageous request, I told them that I'd rather have an ESI but right now it's just not feasible...I'm stuck in trial limbo as there's still one more thing that has to be sorted out before I get any monies and that's not until August 14th! And I don't have $3000 for an injection or the money for an office visit unless I get the medicaid plan I applied for. I know we'll get it fixed as he hates to see people in pain and the response I got just doesn't seem like him...I just don't trust the nurse to relay things accurately!
  • fancypants, I can hear the desperation in your posts, and I SO understand what you're dealing with. I'm glad you're persistent, though; don't give up and let the system win - you (and your Mom, lucky you!) are your advocates, so make sure someone listens to you.

As for having Mom there, don't feel bad....when I was 46 I was taking my Mom to my appointments with me because my pain doc wasn't paying attention to what I was saying. Mom fixed that in a hurry! ;)

Take care, and if worst comes to worst, just go to the ER. Maybe you'll end up with a doc who has different ideas for medication options.

• I think it will get fixed, but it's not just the pain meds, it's the muscle relaxers as well...They're just not working! My muscles are so tight and my lower back is locking up, which I don't think would happen if I had the right muscle relaxer? Or it just wouldn't be as bad...It sucks, NONE of the meds he gave me for pain and to relax my muscles are working and considering that I need surgery (a biggish one, i know people have it worse and I'm sorry) and I'm in PAIN MANAGEMENT, shouldn't we at least be working to lower it to a more tolerable level?!

It should be fixed when my mom goes to see him and talks to him...I don't trust his staff! I'm hanging in though as best as I can, considering that the headaches are back again!

I appreciate everyone's support, this has been a VERY trying few weeks and your caring words have made it a little easier to bear. Thank you!
  • Wow... this sounds so much like what I have been going thru with my PM for the past year. He just makes me feel like he doesn't believe the level of pain I am feeling. Sometimes I think he thinks its in my head or something. I too have been on that medicine merry go round. At one point I was on about 7 or 8 different meds, I was so geeked I cant even remember what they all were now. At the moment I am on Gabapentin, Daracet, Cymbalta, and I have vicodin (just a few-500mg) to take if the darvacet don't do it. I have Valium and amitryptilyne for sleep... none of my meds are strong enuff to allow me to even make a meal for my family with out hurting so bad that I can sit and enjoy the dam meal myself. The dr insists that I keep trying to work and be productive. So I am doing 4 hour shifts at work, which are killing me being either on my feet the entire time or at a desk the whole time. I cant win.

He had me on the higher dose of vicodin for a while, but doesn't want me to become dependent so lowered the dose again. I have been in for shots of toradol when it gets real bad and have asked about a pain pump with this medication in it for those times so that I don't have to run to the office/er for and be charged the additional cost of those visits and I also have to find someone to drive me since I am crying so hard in pain I couldn't drive anyway.

I have to have SI injections again today, they are so short lived for me it hardly seems worth it, but hey I will take the short week or two of tolerable pain for the hassle/cost of the shots. I just wish they could find the right mix for me so that I wouldn't have to go in all the time.

The last time I saw the dr. I told him that I didn't feel that I really had any quality of life right now. I am so limited to what I can/cant do. I cant work like normal people, I cant do things around the house like normal people... and I really don't know how much longer I can tolerate all this. What kind of way is this to live. Being miserable and hurting all the time.

Will see what happens... Wish me luck, say a prayer if your the praying kind... I need all the help I can get, even if just someone to listen to me whine... thanks for being here for me. This site has been a real God-send for me the last year or so.

Good luck to you all, praying for pain free days for us all !!