Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What helps you the most?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
edited 03/22/2015 - 3:41 PM in Pain Management
Spending a lot of time reading posts for the past 8+ years, I have come across many approaches to pain management, how to sure things, etc.

That was then, and here is now.

I am very curious to understand what in your life has helped you cope with your pain and discomfort. I realize that we are not looking for that one magic pill that does so much, but the things we do or treatments to help us go by every day.

Here are just some of the actions, I believe fit into this category

• - Physical Therapy
    - Aqua Therapy
    - Ultrasound Therapy
    - Tens units
    - Traction (from the basic in house that most physical therapy places have to the glorofied DRX90000)
    - Massage therapy
    - Music therapy
    - Relax therapy
    - Meditation
    - Acupuncture
    - Aroma therapy
    - Music therapy
    - Hypnosis
    - Exercise
    - Diet control
    - etc
I listed these, because one time or another, I have tried them. I am still using some of the eastern practices of medicine.

I would really love to hear from others, was well as I believe others want to hear also, about those set of treatments and/or others that have helped you

Personally, I know that deep traditional Thai massage therapy has been the one treatment that has kept me out of a wheelchair!

Please tell us about what makes it right for you.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• For the past three years I have been unable to sleep in bed for longer than an hour at night before waking up in excruciating pain and having to get in my recliner. I think that on any given night I was only able to get three - maybe four hours of sleep - and that wasn't a good, deep sleep, but rather a very fitful, restless sleep.

My doctor has always said that less sleep = more pain, and I believe him. My daytime pain is bad enough without adding in EXTRA pain from lack of sleep. The Blend helps me so much throughout my days (spinal cord stimulator, pain patch, aqua therapy, diet control, relaxation therapy), but the thought of going to bed at night filled me with dread, as I knew that only pain, restlessness, insomnia and more pain waited for me.

BUT THEN in January, we got an adjustable bed. Oh my! It is a split king adjustable so that my hubby isn't bound to my positional choices, and it has made a HUGE difference! I put it in "Zero G" position, and most nights I am able to fall asleep quickly and sleep soundly for a good part of the night! This bed also monitors sleep quality, amount of restlessness, time out of bed, breathing rate, and heart rate each night, so I can look at it on my iPad and actually SEE the reality of the results that I am feeling. There have been some nights where it recorded that I wasn't restless at all and slept soundly for five straight hours. That is HUGE for me! I also no longer wake up in excruciating pain, as the position I use relieves a good amount of the stress and pressure from my lower back.

As Ron said, there is no magic pill to help everything - I still need all of the other things I mentioned above to help me on my never-ending journey to battle this pain beast, but for me, finally getting some sleep at night has been incredible!

• Hope3HHope3 Posts: 752
    edited 03/23/2015 - 9:02 AM
    I bought two beds one does not recline and the other does but has no adjustment
    to the hardness. Now as soon as I sell this 4700. bed I hope I am going to purchase
    one like you are talking about I am hoping it helps with my issues. I also bought a
    recliner which improved things for some time but in the end I think your idea is
    great if affordable.
    I use a lot of the other tools too it is important, ice is my best friend right now, not
    able to do the other at this moment.
    Don't you feel just great getting that sleep, it is so so important and I think if you can
    it makes all the difference in your day and pain level. I wish they could create one
    that put zero pressure on the body, maybe down the road huh?
    I hope it continues to bring this relief for you.
  • Loved, loved, loved it! I made great progress, felt great, and overall enjoyed it. Caution, not all aqua therapists are created equal though. The first one I went to was in a special therapeutic pool which is warmer and specially treated to keep the water clean in those temps, which also makes you more buoyant and flexible. Fast forward to a new therapist after we moved and it was such a disappointing let down. The first had me using noodles and stairs and special pool weights within two weeks of starting (around 8weeks post op), the new one had us in a regular pool, no noodles, weights or resistance and never progressed beyond beyond walking forwards and backwards, with anyone in the group regardless of injury and progression. Definitely look for a specially trained aqua therapist using a therapeutic pool, wish I could do this again!