Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Steroid side effects

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Spinal Injections
I just had bilateral si joint injections on 7/3 and I am having hot flashes from h*ll!! Has anyone else had this reaction? Its horrible! I get really hot, sweat profusely from the waist up, my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest and I just feel sick at my stomach for awhile. I am at the age for the hot flash thing, but have never had any this severe, didn't get them often anyway, and have had these only since I got these injections a few days ago.Plus I have awful heartburn. this is the fourth time I have had steroid injections since Feb of this year. They always seem to make me feel so sick. Was just wondering if anyone else gets like this?
Teri
advertisement

Comments

• If you are diabetic a side effect of steroid use is uncontrolled blood sugars, if you are not diabetic repeated and/or long term use of steroids can cause drug induced diabetes.
  • I am hypoglycemic...at least I was 8 years ago...I have been controlling my low blood sugar with my diet.My parents are both diabetic, so I guess I could be borderline. I appreciate your response and will ask my doctor about this. I get sick every time I get an epidural steroid injection.

• I have those same side effects from the one shot used on my bunion, also my depression/mania went through the roof to the point of suicidal.I also experienced a bizarre side effect of depersonalization as well, which really scared me.Being a type 2 diabetic it really took a few weeks to get my levels straight.
    When my back problems started, the doctor mentioned these as a possible route to reduce the inflammation/pain.I told him nicely and firmly that my last reaction scared me and that steroids were no longer an option.Thankfully, after talking a bit he agreed.

Like all treatments, we are different and some are more tolerated than others.
  • Hi - I have had 22 assorted epidurals/si injections over 5 years. I always get hot flashes, but they go away within about 2 weeks. It is almost 100 degrees here so I am staying in the air conditioning. I also want to eat everything in sight for those 2 weeks!
    If anyone has a cold I catch that also.
    The things we endure to keep walking!
    Good Luck!
  • I have hot flashes, too! I also get a red face on the side where they did the epidural...where its really obvious and odd looking. I also get insomnia from the steroids. Always have, always did.
  • I've had steroid injections in my spine 2 times, and had significant flushing (constantly hot and red) in my face and chest for a few days after each. I also ran a low-grade fever for a couple of days, felt very tired, plus hungry and thirsty. Some increased leg pain & numbness temporarily. But, within a few days all the side effects were gone.

My first injection (ESI on one side) gave very minor relief that was gone within 2 weeks. The second was actually 3 injections: caudal plus 2 facet. It provided substantial relief that started to fade after 2 weeks, but didn't completely go away for about 4 weeks. The side effects were stronger with the 2nd injection--I had much more of the drug put into me!

One happy side effect of the 2nd injection was that it completely eliminated some really bad elbow pain I've had for a year (epicondylitis) for about a week. The weird thing is that injections directly in my elbow haven't been working!
  • I spoke at great length with a friend/neurologist about the dose of cortisone used in ESI's. He said it is about equal to ONE oral dose. It is virtually without side effects (the horror stories you hear about side effects of cortisone are from taking long-term oral doses where it affects your entire system). I do agree that shortly after the ESI you feel something, and I swear I feel relief briefly in my hands (I get ESI for my back/legs), so some of it must "leak". But if you are feeling heat and other such symptoms, I think you need to be checked for diabetes or other problems. It could be serious, so it's worth checking out.

ESI's give me tremendous relief for about 3 months. Mine are administered by a PM doc, in a hospital, guided by x-ray (or flouroscope, not sure which) with a radiologist and several nurses involved. I think the ones administered "over" the site in a doctor's office are totally useless....
    Rosa

• I have had 3 steriod injections, I have had a few hot flashes but for me the most side effect I've had is eatting everything in the house. I'm so hungry I can't quite eating. And gaining weight with a bad back is not a good thing. :(
  • I had many steroid injections. I got hot flashes, eating and eating especially at night, weight gain, bloating, hyper, easily agitated and multiple infections.

It seemed that each month I got 1 new infection somewhere in my body. My resistance seemed low as seemed to catch everyhting I got expose to like colds, flus, UTIs, pleurisy, pneumonia, skin infections, sinusitis, and many more. My GP told me to stop steroids as she tells me it is weakening my bones as I have osteoporosis.

My PMs office just called and recommended another series of lumbar steroid injections due to a new problem at L3-L4. So I made an appointment to discuss the injections in person. I sure don't want any more. jade
  • mysteria said:
    I just had bilateral si joint injections on 7/3 and I am having hot flashes from h*ll!! Has anyone else had this reaction? Its horrible! I get really hot, sweat profusely from the waist up, my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest and I just feel sick at my stomach for awhile. I am at the age for the hot flash thing, but have never had any this severe, didn't get them often anyway, and have had these only since I got these injections a few days ago.Plus I have awful heartburn. this is the fourth time I have had steroid injections since Feb of this year. They always seem to make me feel so sick. Was just wondering if anyone else gets like this?
    Teri
    I had Occipital Nerve Blocks done on the Jan.27th. During the procedure Hot Flashes started and I'm still having them day and night. It's driving me crazy!
  • mysteria said:
    Teri

I just logged onto this website this evening to learn more about long term steriod injections and the side affects. My husband has had many, many steriod injections for RSD pain and this last time he decided it was his last one. The side effects are not only what you described but horrible mood swings and some are violent outburts that make no sense at all. Then the next day he is depressed, etc. They don't work as well as they used to and it's gotten to where the side effects out weigh the benefits. I think they are doing him more harm then good.
  • mysteria said:
    Teri
  • I am having the same problem I am scared to death that I am having a heart attack, so far the drs. are saying that I needed to take antihistamines to counter act these problems but to no avail. I want to know if there are any lingering effects of this and what it is doing to my heart. What exactly are you supposed to do in this situation? Help!!!!
  • about long term and the side affects.I just was told that my only choice is to live with the pain or take the shot. So I've looked it up. Steriod injections for pain,ok. The side effects ?, the shot Joint infection,eats soft tissue,Nerve damage,kills bone around injections,Thinning of nearby bone,Tendon weakening or rupture, now I'm not a rocket scientist, but I don't think that adding this to the mix is the wright way to go.I'm already in pain 24-7 let's put something that's going to deteriorate my spine faster??? Oh wait, I will not feel it because it's numb... I'm a mechanic on all types of equipment, From no wheels to 18 wheels. So I deal with a lot of heavy parts most over 100 lbs and I'm part contorshenist to install them. The side effects that are described on this chat, mood swings,violent outburts, depressed,hot flases, etc.,this side effects out weigh the benefits. I think they are more harm than good. I'm 43 years old, I can still walk slowly no sharp turns the main damage is thoracic spine ,I was fine untill I fell off a truck @ work blew my knee & back up,the knee is fixed.The Spine ?.I don't want the shots but I can't do my job either. I told the doctor that I'm not going to take the shot, So he sent me back to work 100% work ready, lol.I must support my family so I went back to work and lasted two weeks.Untill I had to use a slege hammer, then I was on my face again @ the hosptial again. Now I'm in more pain than before and the doctor is gonna send me back on the 25th, I will go back like I said ,I need to support my fam. Does any one here have any help for me...
  • has any one had a mri after the injections...
  • I have.

The side effects I am told by my NS's PA last week are much worse for long time oral steroid users than for those who have steroids injected right into the source.

Also if you get a chance you should watch the Steroids show on the National Geograhic channel. It pretty muched opened my mind to trying the ESI's again.

I just had my 3rd set since May (in a new location). I hsd an MRI the day after my last set. My spine is a mess but not from the steroids.

I guess I am desperate enough that I am willing to hope that they find my pain generators so I can get unto the nuts and bolts of a treatment plan rather than spening my days prentending things aren't as bad as they seem. I am on the verge of perm disabilty. Looking at Thoracic surgery, I will try anyhting to prevent that. If I can lower my pain meds and function at a higher level then my life is getting substantially better.

Just my $ 0.02 on the matter. When I was younger and not so far vested into this spinal disorder h3ll that has become my life I too was not big on ESI's. I thought they were a huge waste of money. I had them done on my lumbar spine. 1 out of the 3 worked and only for a few weeks. They are also valuable diagnostic tools.

I am sitting here at 2 am wide awake. Yes I had an ESI yesterday at noon :) My face is red and the roids are raging. Side effects I could live with out for sure, but crossing my fingers symptoms are much better so far.

Feel better,

Julie
  • ok your saying that you've had 3 sets ofsteroids injections ,how many shots is that?, + MRI the day after of your last set. How long was it between the first set & the 2nd MRI.. I'ts been since may 23, 2010 and I I'm still in pain with no shots just naproxen and flexeril. That don't take the pain away but they are slowing down the shakes from the spasm in my back,neck,legs,arms + i'ts a little easier to sleep, when I can.. Did you see your MRI's your self?. I know I'm not a doctor, however the doctors not going to tell you that there is more wrong in you back because that is part of the side effects. But if you see one pic form MRI 1 and another one from MRI 2 that should be the same, and it is , ok. I asked for a copy of mine so I could see it for my self, I don't know it just makes it easier for me to see for myself. I'm just trying to get a hold on things the best that I can. Thank you for the responce, your input helps hope we all get better..
  • Steroid has so many side effects. Aggressive behavior can be one of the scarier sides of steroid use. It is a popular belief that steroids can give you cancer.The use of highly androgenic steroids can negatively impact the growth of scalp hair. Many anabolic steroids can increase the amount of water and sodium stored in body tissues.
  • will one epidural injection of a steroid create such side effects of the desire for eating, hot flashes, etc or is it a side effect common only for those with a series of injections?
  • SORRY FOR NOT RESPONDING SOONER, I HAVE HAD MY PLATE FULL THIS LAST WEEK + THE PAIN IS GETTING TO BE MORE INTENSE WITH TWISTING MY BODY . I WOULD SAY YES ONE OR FIFTY IT'S STILL THE SAME PRODUCT WITH THE SAME SIDE EFFECTS, THE FIRST WILL BE THE SAME AS THE LAST. IN THE LONG RUN IT WILL DO WHAT IT'S BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THESE SIDE EFFECTS WILL HAPPEN, THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE TO DISCLOSE THE SIDE EFFECTS,BY LAW.
  • Do you know if you suffer from Bi-polar disorder? I'm not sure if that's been brought up yet, but I have had some serious side effects because of it I believe. I was first given oral steroids, and by day two, I had what they call Hypomania. I was then told that injections would not have the same effect so I had an injection and within minutes I started climbing the walls again. I had incredible RAGE for absolutely no reason what so ever. I also felt like I was seventeen... better than seventeen even. But in a split second it would all change. I wanted to rip things apart.. everything. My kitchen cabinets especially. I knew in my mind I could just rip them off the wall and had to seriously talk myself out of it. I actually asked my girlfriend to go and stay with a friend for a few days, because I was afraid of myself. I'm a very peaceful person... sure I get upset sometimes.. I live in NYC, everyone does, but I would not leave the house because I was afraid of what I could do to someone.. anyone, for no reason what so ever. I have very mild bi-polar. Easy to deal with without medication. But the second I took cortisone, I turned into a monster... and then a happy teenager, and then a monster. It was scary. I will never take them again. Honestly.. I would rather take a bullet than another shot. You may remember Jane Pauly. She was an anchor for NBC news. She has a very interesting story about what happened to her. Google it. Hope that helps a little, and know that your not alone... Oh and eat... I would run down a cow and eat it raw if I was near a farm. I don't even eat red meat... my hunger was that bad. Horrible stuff.
    baddays said:
    about long term and the side affects.I just was told that my only choice is to live with the pain or take the shot. So I've looked it up. Steriod injections for pain,ok. The side effects ?, the shot Joint infection,eats soft tissue,Nerve damage,kills bone around injections,Thinning of nearby bone,Tendon weakening or rupture, now I'm not a rocket scientist, but I don't think that adding this to the mix is the wright way to go.I'm already in pain 24-7 let's put something that's going to deteriorate my spine faster??? Oh wait, I will not feel it because it's numb... I'm a mechanic on all types of equipment, From no wheels to 18 wheels. So I deal with a lot of heavy parts most over 100 lbs and I'm part contorshenist to install them. The side effects that are described on this chat, mood swings,violent outburts, depressed,hot flases, etc.,this side effects out weigh the benefits. I think they are more harm than good. I'm 43 years old, I can still walk slowly no sharp turns the main damage is thoracic spine ,I was fine untill I fell off a truck @ work blew my knee & back up,the knee is fixed.The Spine ?.I don't want the shots but I can't do my job either. I told the doctor that I'm not going to take the shot, So he sent me back to work 100% work ready, lol.I must support my family so I went back to work and lasted two weeks.Untill I had to use a slege hammer, then I was on my face again @ the hosptial again. Now I'm in more pain than before and the doctor is gonna send me back on the 25th, I will go back like I said ,I need to support my fam. Does any one here have any help for me...
  • If you have Diverticulosis, watch out for Diverticulitis.
  • Anonymous said:
    Teri
    I have just had the same injections but my side effects are extreme jitters along with chills and night sweats. Benadryl helps more than anything else.
  • Acne, Aggression, Anaphylactic Shock, Blood Clotting, Cardiovascular Disease, Depression, High Blood Pressure/ Hypertension, Prostate Enlargement etc..there are lots of problems which can happen with steroid use. So stop it for any reason. It would be good.
  • jakepell87jjakepell87 Posts: 1
    edited 03/24/2015 - 9:05 PM
    I recently had a steriod shot in my back and im sweating so perfusely its in unbelievable i cant even sleep cus my bedding and clothes are getting siaked every 15 min was it this bad for u this is my 2nd shot and i dont feel well at all almost condering calling the er im only 28 but never felt thi way in my life

This is an old thread, for the best responses and support I suggest you make a new thread, you can do this by clicking on 'Create forum post' on the left column.

Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Jake pell
  • I am having all symptoms hot flashes, anxiety, dry mouth and food tastes weird, head pressure and I am already dealing with coming out of severe depression from hysterectomy last December, with majority of same symptoms! I was finally stabilizing and past week have became anxiety constantly, panic attacks, numbing in face, weird feeling....and on top of it NO relief at all from 8 injections in a month! cancelled 3rd series yesterday. My biggest anxiety is now how long are these side effects from injections going to let up cause I am done as of two weeks ago?
    crissy j deitering
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,233
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Yes,my dr. Was called back in because I had same thing going on.He gave me benadryl and said it was an allergy to something used.I was to take benadryl for few days after going home.Threy really helped.However,I had shots again and few days later I was paralyzed from waist down with many other problems.I have suspected ms now.

• blossom77bblossom77 EnglandPosts: 50
    Hi,
    very common hot flushes after steroid injections.
    i hope your feeling better
    Take care
  • CarlMacCCarlMac EnglandPosts: 5
    They seem to be hit and miss for me, I have had both facet joint and lumbar epidural injections years before surgery and had no side effects, I had facet joint injections last year and was ok however, I had a lumbar epidural in February 2016 and I felt awful, hot flushes, my skin on my face cheeks was constantly red which still isn't completely gone, my cheeks were hot and sore to touch, I too had a big appetite for the first few weeks and felt totally bloated and I haven't been able to shift the weight as yet, it did completely clear my psoriasis on my elbows which was fantastic, unfortunately this is back and so is the pain but I got 16 weeks of pain relief at varying levels which has got me off long term sick and back into work which has been the best progress for me in ages.
advertisement