Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Compounding Pharmacy: Sounds Like A Good Choice

Dava AnneDDava Anne Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Hope all had a great holiday! I have just found out that there are compounding pharmacies that make alot of differnet types of meds for pain management. I am sure there are alot of you that are like me that can no longer take NSAIDS due to stomach issues. While I was at my local CVS yesterday I was saying to my pharmacist that it would be nice if there was another option of using NSAIDS without them having to pass through the digestive system. He then told me about a compounding pharmacy in my area that can put alot of different meds into a gel or patch, which ends some of the stomach side affects that oral meds can cause.
I checked out their web-site (under their compounding pharmacy section /pain management),I found out how many different type of meds they make available using this option. I called them this AM and spoke with the pharmacist and he explained to me about all the different meds they can use (even for nerve pain)and how to have my Dr. write a script. I thought I would pass this info along in case there is somebody else like me that could use this alternative. If you would like to check out the web-site for this pharmacy below is their address. I hope this may help others and maybe you can find one in your area. Dava Anne

• Many Walgreens, as well as smaller chains like Pharmaca (I know we have the in Colorado, but not sure about other states), and some independents also compound. Your local pharmacy might and you just don't know it :) Fair warning, though, most insurance companies do not cover compounded drugs - some do, some don't, depends on the ingredients - usally the most expensive ingredient is the one billed for, so if your insurance covers that ingredient, they may cover the compound (only if compounds are covered). Always check first, compounds are expensive since they take so much "manpower" to make. Pharmacies make a lot of profit from them.
  • Yes I am familiar with this. My doc says that they are not as stable in your system though. Like wit the creams you might get a big jolt at first and then nothing. Good Luck!
  • Thanks for the replies. It was my local pharmacy that gave me name of this compounding one. I am aware that the meds might not be totally the same as the oral ones, but at this point I don't have a choice. I just had an EGD done last week and my stomach is a mess (erosions & bleeding) from taking the oral meds. I'm sure my insurance co. probably won't cover the cost so I guess I will have to pay whatever to get some relief. I saw my neuro yesterday and gave him the info on this type of med and I was surprised that he has used this pharmacy and compounding meds before so he is going to do a script for me. I guess I will have to wait and see how things go. I sure hope it's soon as I have been without the NSAIDS for a week now and I sooo could use them. I really knew how much of a difference they made in my pin relief until now. Thanks, Dava Anne

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc