Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lack of interest in my lumber spine

I've been having physiotherapy for bulging discs in my cervical spine along with aqua therapy, hospital style pilates and acupuncture. I'm on a levelled off dose of Gabapentin and I have to say, I'm doing really well neck wise.

More recently I had an MRI on my thoracic and lumber spine. I'm having severe pain in my lumber spine. When I went to see the spinal surgeon he explained that I had two slightly bulging discs in my lumber spine but nothing to worry about. Unlike before he didn't pull up the 3D image and I left feeling like I'd been short changed. When I visited my Neurologist last week he explained that they hadn't managed to get a decent image of the sacrum or tail bone because my muscles were probably going into spasm and that stops them getting a clear image. I asked if I should have another MRI and he said there was no point because it would probably not turn out a clear enough image for a diagnosis.

My lower back pain is getting worse regardless of the Gabapentin and conservative treatment. My saddle area goes through periods of complete numbness to acute pain where I can hardly walk. I've been having bladder problems for a while...I think I've finished peeing but when I stand up I carry on and I can go all day without feeling like I need to pee. This last week has been worse. I laughed at something and wet myself and I got out of bed one morning but didn't make it to the toilet.

I have a spinal surgeon and a neurologist who seems to have a lot of interest in my cervical spine and no interest in my lumber spine. I know my nerves are doing something (going wrong) and I do not want this to be permanent but who do I turn to? I believe I possibly have coccydynia but how can that be diagnosed if they can't see my images?

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I have a friend who just got out of residency and he had a few brilliant things to share with me that had nothing to do with medicine. One thing he said was, "patients never, ever hear this but sometimes doctors just don't know what to do." For years and years I was SO angry that no doctors could help me with my pain from the 70's-90's. We always thing that doctors can go in like they do on TV and help with anything. But it's real life and few doctors are willing to try something no other doctor has tried before or a procedure they have never done.

Imagine hearing your doctor say, "I don't know."

You may want to go for another opinion at a different medical facility... maybe another state if possible. Maybe spelling out your every symptom to someone hearing it with new ears?

And remember that most doctors try really hard with that "Do no harm". With the spine, it's easy to make things worse.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • MariaBMMariaB Posts: 5
    edited 03/24/2015 - 6:47 AM
    Thanks for your reply Sheila...

It was very clear that my neurologist didn't know what he was talking about when he looked at my results without guidance from my spinal surgeon. After me filling him in about my problems (found by my spinal surgeon) he looked a little embarrassed before making a comment about not being an expert with bones!

I'm seeing my physio tomorrow and I'm going to have a chat with her. They all work as a team and all have a meeting together every Tuesday afternoon so I'm sure she will pass on my concerns.