Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Strange Back Pain

KipsKKips Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone - new to site. Looking for possible answers to specific question;
Never suffered from any real back pain although I have had a developing Kythosis for many, many years. Suddenly 6 weeks ago I could not lie down in bed. not on front, side or back. Area of mid to lower back right side severe spasm like pain.Once I stood up pain disappeared. MRI confirmed kythosis with large osteophytes protroding into both spinal canal and right neural foramen. No pain or tingling sensations down legs or buttocks only severe pain from the spine round to the side of the ribs.Pain appears to be centred in the lumber/kidney area.For long periods of the day when walking round I do not feel any pain but my back starts seizing up within a few minutes of lying down and any slight movement creates severe pain.
Any Answers?

• Hi, not sure I have a good answer, but I have had the same symptoms. My back spasms all the time. I've also had horrible leg cramps and foot cramps.

From everything I've read, anytime the spinal cord is narrowed or pushed on, it squishes nerves that "run" our systems and arms/legs/whatever. When I had a myelogram, the spinal cord looked like a huge string of wrapped spaghetti on the films. When I asked what were all the stringy things, they said those were the nerve roots that shoot off and run through our vertebras.

You have bone spurs that are pushing into the spinal cord and those are causing the nerves to cause your back muscles to seize up and spasm. You may want to ask for some muscle relaxer and see if that helps you. I am taking Robaxin 750mg and they help, but aren't really strong. I can take them and work, so they don't knock you out or make you too droopy.

Are they suggesting any type surgery to take off the bone spurs? There are laser options for that also. Ask your doctor. I doubt if you get much relief until you get those things off your spinal cord.

Good luck and big hugs.
  • Kips , I have no idea sweetie but I atleast wanted pop in here to welcome you to the forum. Please do keep us posted as you get more info on this. Take care...Miki
  • I would like to welcome youimage
  • hello Kips and welcome to the forum...
    After you had your MRI, what did your dr suggested for you to be done to help you with this?