Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why do some have hard/soft collars for 6 weeks or 5 months??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Someone asked that on the cervical site, but it was buried in a post about someone's surgery. Thought that it was a good question and someone here might have some insight.

Anyone know the reason why different neuro's have different opinions on which collar and for how long?

• There seems to be a wide range between different surgeons. I have never understood it.

With surgery #1 I had a soft collar. At first the surgeon said I would be wearing it for 2 weeks. That turned into about 8-10 weeks (can't remember exactly how long).

Different surgeon did surgery #2. I was in a hard collar 24/7 for the first 6 weeks, even when showering. When the 6 week x-rays looked good, Dr. said I could slowly wean off of it over the next few weeks. I am now 9 weeks post op today, and only wear a soft collar for support when my neck is tired and needs that extra support. Usually only a couple of hours a day, and I hope to be not using one at all soon.

For whatever reason, surgery #1 did not fuse. I decided when surgeon #2 told me to wear a hard collar, I would stay in it as long as he recommends, even it if were months and months, because I don't want to have another failed fusion.

I have no idea what determines the length of time or type of collar worn. Dr. preference? Experience? Old school-new school? If anyone has asked their surgeon why it differs so much, I too would love to hear what you have learned.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • This is a good question. My OS and NS after my first surgery wanted me to use my hard collar while I was in a car or out in public, but when I was home, they wanted me to use my soft collar as needed, but not to rely on it. I guess it had to do with the fusion that was done(2 level). After my second surgery, the hard collar was to be on while I was in a car , out in public and sleeping for the first week. I was able to wear my soft collar when I was not doing anything at all, and after the the first week I was to use it as needed. The hard collar was used in the car for about 6 weeks. I had much more surgery done the second time, hardware removed and 2 more levels fused and a 3 level laminectomy which made more use of the hard collar. I still think it is more doctor related than anything, there seems to be a wide range of times and what collars are used. I'll check with my OS tomorrow at my next visit to see what he has to say about it.

• didn't wear a collar at all....just thought I would throw in a third scenario there... ;) I have no idea why either but I do agree with what Cindy is saying... :)
  • I will wear the hard collar 3 weeks then change to a soft collar. Strange??
  • I'd just do whatever the surgeon tells you to do, after all...he was the one poking around inside your neck.

I wore a hard neck brace for a month before the surgery. After the surgery he switche me to a soft collar for roughly 3 weeks then I weaned off of it.

Good luck with your surgery :)