Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C6/7 ADR recovery

perrypvopperrypvo Posts: 2
edited 03/25/2015 - 11:24 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I receive 1-level C6/7 ADR surgery in 11/2014 after about 4 years of on and off arm/shoulder pain. Right after the surgery, I felt great and was released from the hospital right on the day of the surgery. After about 3 weeks or so, I started having tension headache and muscle spasm around the base of the neck. I think the prednisolone and the numb medication got worn off. There is no radiculopathy compared to pre-op. The pain around the neck was fairly minimal but there were some swelling and sore. The tension headache is just on left side, and it is not as intense as migraine, but really bothering. At the oncoming of the headache, there is pain on the side of the neck on the same left side.

It has been around 4 months now since the surgery. I have come back to the surgeon with X-ray a few times, but he said all look good. He sent me to a pain management doctor who did 2 facet injections. They didn't seem to help though. There is still some tenderness/sore/pain and the back of the neck right at about C6/7. Also, the strange thing is the soreness at the upper shoulders switches side: one day it is on left, another is on right.

Just wonder if anyone goes through the recovery and experienced the same? Is this expected as part of the recovery for ADR? How long would it take you since the surgery to experience no symptoms? Should I be concerned about the remaining pain/tension headache?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• brandis77bbrandis77 Posts: 195
    edited 03/25/2015 - 10:23 PM
    Hi Perry! I'm so sorry you're still having pain after your sugery. :/ I'm only 4 weeks post-op, but I am having headaches similar to the ones you described. I have been told that the headaches are normal at this point in my recovery, but it doesn't seem right that you are still having problems months later. Have you considered trying a different neurosurgeon/orthopedic surgeon to get another opinion?
    L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015