Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no more narcotics

I need some advice. I put myself in rehab to rid my body of those mind NUMBING opiates. So now I can barely move. Also, I either have interesting new symptoms or I just feel them acutely now. Since my neck surgery in October, I have wicked parasthesia of most of my face, hands, and the bottom of my feet. I now also have weird cysts growing on my fingers and above one toe. What the neck is going on? And, now that I have done the rehab thing, have I destroyed any hope for pain relief if I require additional surgery? I really don't like depending on those damn pills but I'm not quite ready to give up living. I'm perplexed.

• I am so sorry you have so much pain. I know that the opiates are hard to get off of. I am not taking any more of the pain medicine to ease my pain but I am on a few other things to help my situation with my neck. I cant even skip a dose because of the pain.
    Are you seeing a pain management doctor or keeping up with your neurosurgeon doctor about your pain issues? I am just wondering if they can help you find alternatives to the opiates, It takes a while to get the combination of therapies right. I know it sucks. I have been seeing a physical therapist since November. We tried to stop at the end of February but the pain flared up and now I am back again. I am also on Gabapentin, Nortryptaline, cyclobenzaprine, and a rescue for the migraines/cervicogenic headaches that I get since surgery. I have headaches and neck and shoulder pain all the time.
    I was taking a lot of Tylenol because of it but now I am no longer allowed to.
    I don't know what type of pain or where your pain is but I feel for you. I hope you can find a way to lessen the pain.
    Tracie C
  • Congrats on putting yourself in re-hab and it is sad that may
    eliminate any help for later pain relief.
    My brother was an alcoholic he has died since but he was allowed
    pain meds and was just monitored closely are you sure there is
    not a Doctor or clinic out there that will help you?
    Tracie gave some great advice seek out a Doctor who will listen and
    respect you for what you have done and work with you to find the
    right things to help you. I am sorry you are going through this I cannot
    imagine no relief and yes pain meds do cause us to feel like crap at times
    but boy without them I respect anyone who has the strength to do that
    when they are experiencing a lot of pain.
    Wish you the best.
  • I was a recovering pain pill addict and just had a fusion 5 wks ago. I had been clean from opiates for 6 years, and became addicted from a past surgery. Well, I had no problems with finding a surgeon to treat me effectively with pain meds. I was 100% honest with them, and every dr I see. I am being slowly weaned off right now, and it's going good. But usually you will need someone to help you through it that knows of your problem. But don't get me wrong there's been many drs that will just look at you like you're a junkie, and won't take your words or pain seriously. But I do understand where they are coming from. It's their license, not mine. But if a reason can be seen, and it's necessary for pain meds, someone will help. But try every alternative medication first, because if you have had problems getting off once, it will most likely happen again. I'm doing good, but not gonna lie and say it's been easy.best of luck to you.