Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year long undiagnosed surgery pain, please help

cabbie889ccabbie889 Posts: 6
edited 03/26/2015 - 8:50 PM in Chronic Pain
Hey I am 26 years old male, from Toronto, Canada. Im hoping if someone can give me some idea as to how to approache my situation. I had a laparscopic right kidney surgery almost an year ago( my ureter near kidney was narrowed/got blocked due to a blood vessel in the way). During this time, I used to get severe intermittent pains in my back and my side/ flank. After my surgery, that pain went away, however now for one year I have had constant pain on the right side of my abdomen just below my last rib near one of the incisions. The pain area is not wide spread, its localized to small area. But this pain never goes away, i have been to every type of specialist, even pain managment without any help, when they want to get rid of me, they just recommend me to try CBT behavior therapy. I asked my urologist and a couple of general surgeons to open me up and see if theres nerve problem or scar tissue, but they dont want to. I begged one pain specialist to do something to help me, block my nerves from the spine, or neurectomy but he refused. Im sure there must be some way to block nerve, but it seems they don't want to bother to investigate the problem
Worst thing is I cant even get any doctor to give me any painkiller, so most of the times Im in just very bad pain. I had every type of test done u/s, ct, mri, I was told no real underlying pathalogy according to my doctors. But in my u/s, it said small hypoechoic area near my incision. My mri said T2 signal abnormality, contrast enhancment in anteriolateral abdominal wall in the region of pain( whatever that means as not even any doctor was able to explain)

After all these doctors couldnt help me, I started to investigate my pain area myself. I notice if I pinch or pick my skin up over pain region, my skin itself feels sore and painful. And if I stretch that area, and then press deep or poke with two fingers in circulor motion, it feels really tender and sore, in one spot, I get very sharp pain. If I keep poking, pressing that area, my pain flares up even more. So I am suspecting what I have is abdominal wall pain.
After searching online, I came across articles something called ACNES (abdominal cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome), which can happen after surgery. Treatment is local anesthetic / steroid injections to most tender area according to research articles. So I went to a family doctor so he could confirm my diagnosis and refer me to pain specialist or someone who can try these injections. When I told him this diagnosis, he did not know what I was talking about. He examined me physically and said no findings, no mass, lipoma etc( I knew that, I just wanted him to confirm my pain source), which he did not address and said wont refer me because injection may only help me few hours despite in the articles saying injections are diagnostic and therapeutic(usually long term)

So I am wondering if someone here has come across this type of situation, chronic surgery pain, abdominal wall pain, nerve entrapment. The tender /sore area really feels weird when I press it and it is exactly where I feel constant pain, so I am hoping this is the source of my 1 year mystery pain. So is my self diagnosis right and would the injection help me or will this be wasting more time ? ( I am in canada, and it takes months to see a new doctor)
The pain is severe and I cant continue to live like this. I just want to try something, nerve block, surgery, but I cant find anyone willing to help me. I dont really care if its a risk, my pain already is bad enough.Also is there any solution by altering the nerves from spine, like pulsed radio frequency of dorsal root ganglion? In case the injections if I try dont help me


  • peelppeel raleigh, ncPosts: 1
    Hello, I am curious if you ever got this resolved as I have the same exact thing.  I had full abdominal surgery due to twisted intestines last July and several months later the same kind of pain started showing up for me 2" over from by belly button in a very localized region.  It also would never go away, but would get worse in the pain intensity based on activity - sometimes keeping me up at night, all related to how much abdominal activity I did.

    When I press on it - it also feels the same as you describe - the sharp pain in one spot and when you press it flares up more.  It was ultrasounded by the surgeon and found not to be a hernia or hematoma and then they didn't care.  But the site does feel different.  And I agree, after reading and researching I think it is ACNES as well.

    Mine has gotten a lot worse in the past couple months as I have lost weight and exercised more and keeps me up at night so I really want to see someone.  So I wanted to contact you to see if you had gotten your issue resolved.  The research says to get a lidocane shot so do you go to a neurologist or pain management doctor?  It wouldn't be a GI doctor, correct - even though a lot of the abdominal pain wall research has been written by them.

    Thanks in advance.
Sign In or Register to comment.