Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoulder numbness and pain

sandyhssandyh Posts: 1
edited 03/27/2015 - 2:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My husband is 52 and has been experiencing for some time now, numbness and pain in both shoulders at night. It wakes him up several times a night and he has to hold his arm up in the air and rotate it around to get the feeling back, then he switches sleeping position until it happens again in one or the other shoulder. He does have some neck pain but not severe, it's mostly both shoulders. He was recently in a roll over car accident and broke 3 ribs and his collarbone. He seems to be healed from that but I'd say the shoulder issue is worse now, with more pain through the day and not just at night. He saw his primary care physician yesterday and has good range of motion in both shoulders and and his neck. The Dr. wants him to be seen for carpal tunnel which he was diagnosed with about a year ago. He has been wearing the braces at night and it has gotten better so he only wears them when his hands hurt or go numb. His Dr. thinks the shoulder issue could be connected to the carpal tunnel, but he has very good strength in his hands and virtually no pain there at all.....so I'm not convinced. My husband has a very bad lower back and has regular injections for that as well as being on a very strong pain medication that he takes daily. I mention that to say that even with the pain meds he's on.....he still experiences the shoulder pain. So that tells me it must be quite sever. My husband has a very high pain tolerance and continues to work in spite of the pain.....he's not one to sit! Any way, in doing a little research I believe he could have a bulging or herniated disc in his neck. I'm just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Is it odd that the pain would be in both shoulders equally with a disc problem? He says they are identical. Thank you!