Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long to wait to be fairly active after ESI

Patience DianePPatience Diane Posts: 1
edited 07/29/2015 - 10:45 PM in Spinal Injections
I had an Epidural Lumbar Spinal Injection L5 S1 yesterday! I really researched and got a great Doc, he specializes in Pain Management. I have had leg pain from Sciatica for 6 weeks.
I feel good today, but my PT said I'd be best to not walk (I love to hike) more than 10 minutes at a time for the first week.
My doctor said I could return to work (I teach in tutoring center and can get up and walk whenever I wish between bouts of sitting ) but I've arranged not to work till 4 days from when I had the shot

My question is how long -for optimal recuperation and to let the medicine work should I wait to:

1.walk a mile or two or five?

2. Go out to dinner with friends - would involve sitting for over an hour?

Just am so relieved to finally be out of leg pain from sciatica. Don't want to mess up my benefit from Epidural! I guess everyone heals differently and I need to listen carefully to my body- but my nurses and doctor at the surgery center only told me to "lay low" for a couple days. I'm glad I asked my PT who advises laying low longer ....

Thank you very much for your imput! :)

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• I had my first ESI yesterday in my C5 and T12 and my dr said to take it easy for the first few days. In believe no strenuous activity or heavy lifting ect for 4-5 days. everything else should be fine. everybody is different though depending on your body and your side effects.
    Severe cervical DDD with severe neural foraminal narowing at C4,5,6,7 moderate central canal stenosis Spondylosis& impingement on C6 nerve root, moderate DDD thoracic High Signal T9 Lesion in vertebral body, posterolateral T8-9 disk protrution
  • Hi. I have had 6 of these and I continue my normal activities right away. I guess it depends though. I would say don't do anything you wouldn't normally do. This is because these injections are not a cure but they can make you feel soooo much better. You don't want to injure yourself further just because your back feels better right now. The effects are not permanent.