Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Months Post-Discectomy with Unresolved Leg Pain

metalmike91mmetalmike91 Posts: 8
23 year old male.
I had a laminectomy/discectomy at L4/L5 and L5/S1 on December 30th. My leg pain has not gone away. My surgeon keeps telling me that I just need time for the nerve to heal. Over the last 3 months the pain has gone from slightly improved (compared to before surgery) to extremely painful. I don't know what to do. I'm so tired of living like this. I've had this pain for a year and 4 months now. It's driving me insane. I can't sit without pain, I can't exercise, I can't go a single day without pain killers. I barely sleep at night because no matter what position I lay in, the pain wakes me up all throughout the night. I often think about just taking my own life to end the suffering. I go to see my surgeon for my 3 month follow up on 4/1/2015. If my disc isn't reherniated then what options do I have? Do I have to suffer forever? I've been told a hundred times that it just takes time for nerves to heal, but it isn't healing. It's only getting worse day by day. Someone please help me!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ......good you to see your doctor soon.
    Of course you will bring up severe pain and he best at to help you....
    But I wanted to encourage you to also bring up your trouble with sleep. Don't know if he would know if you need help with that or refer you....but I remember when I was going without sleep and that sleep deprivation experience was very crazy making. I was so desperate for sleep and the pain was screaming louder...I didn't think my body could actually continue on another day....I felt totally out of control and out of ideas. I couldn't think straight.

I was like a broken record and then doc did sleep study and saw..something...anyway ...and medicated me and now when it off kilter, he readjusts dosage.

I certainly hope doctor is able to realize all your situations and bring you relief soon.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I saw my surgeon on the 1st. He ordered a second MRI (this time with contrast) to make sure nothing is still pinching my sciatic nerve root. I go in for that on the 10th. I may need a second surgery if one of the discs reherniated. If not, he said we could do an EMG test to look for any signs of nerve damage. In a way I'm almost hoping this pain is being caused by reherniation, in hopes that I'll finally have relief once it's decompressed. At least then I would know what's causing me to still have pain instead of constantly worrying and thinking what it could be.