Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

the results are in....what do they mean to me?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay so I went and picked up my films and report from my xrays. Could you please tell me what it means to me?

There is a mild upper thoracic scoliosis and there is a mild diffuse degenerative disc disease in the thoracic spine.

• Hi Jro,

I am not a doctor so please don't take my word as the letter!

Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine. The thoracic region of your spine is the part that begins at the bottom of your neck and finishes just above your waist, so the curvature they are seeing is basically affecting the upper part of your back.

Degenerative disc disease is not a disease as such, but the name given to the natural aging process of the spine. Our discs are spongy and they work to absorb shocks in our spine. As we age, the discs lose some of this sponginess and begin to dehydrate. Thousands or probably millions of people are walking around with disc degeneration and never have any symptoms to show for it, whereas others are not so lucky.

If there is a particular disc that is causing you problems the doctors may want to treat you for that. With the scoliosis, I'm not too sure. I know it can be corrected with surgery but I'm not sure how severe it has to be before they will do that. Perhaps someone else here can help further?...

Good luck with everything, Spicey :)
  • Thank you so much. I have been having syptoms in my back that are just not good.

I have been having:

Spasms in my upper back and neck
    Stiff burning neck and sometimes shoulders
    Pain in my elbows I mean extreme pain and hurts to lift a glass of water
    Pain in my upper back tingling in my feet
    Tingling in my fingers
    My left arm always feels tired

I am trying to figure out if this could be because of these xrays. I am seeing the ortho on Wednesday but I feel like I am kinda being blow off and the PA sent me to chiro. This was before the tingling. Does it ever stop for Spineys?
  • She explained it very wellimage good job hun