Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thigh pain, leg weakness, top foot pain 3 mos post op lumbar fusion l4-s1

4gals2guys44gals2guys Posts: 1
edited 03/29/2015 - 4:25 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello, I am new to posting here, but always looking on forums for help, support.
I am 3 months post op from a 2 level fusion at l4 l5 s1. This surgery was a ,360 which is front and back .
This was third surgery in 10 months as the first two were deemed failures, a co flex spacer, and laminectomy.
The fusion was really traumatic for me. I just wasn't prepared for it. I had easy recovery from the first two surgeries, just no relief. I suffered for 1.5 years of constant low back pain and terrible top of the foot pain. Nothing helped.
The fusion offered some relief initially.
I only used pain meds for,3 weeks , because the side effects were awful. Moody, severe constipation, terrible stomach pains.
At 2 months post op, I began having the top foot pain again. Surgeon said it was the nerves being stretched taut again since I regained a little over a inch from the disc replacements.
I accepted this and began pt.
Pt didn't help at all. In fact not long after i began pt, the new symptoms of right thigh pain, calf pain, and weakness began. I even developed a deep concave dent on the front left thigh. The right thigh has a smaller version dent.
The weakness feels like, if you were really scared and the adrenalin causes your legs to give out almost. Mine feel like that all the time.
Went back to the Dr, had a mri, which showed the l3 disc was already showing wear post . Dr said this is not often seen postoperative already.
That we will watch it.
I asked him about nerve entrapment. He pretty much said no that I probably didn't have that.
I'm tired of looking like I make these symptoms up.
I've decided to find a neurologist and go on my own for testing. I just can't go thru three surgeries, to have these different symptoms.
So my question is, has anyone been thru this? Reading about my symptoms suggest, femoral nerve dysfunction. I am considered pre diabetic
And take metformin 1x daily at main meal.
Other then that I take 1 flexerill at bedtime to calm the muscle spasms of a long day.
Thanks for reading.