Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need help!

Hi there! I'm new to the forum. I take Norco 10/325mg 2 twice a day. As my pain has gotten worse, I have had to increase to 2 three times a day. This has ran me totally out of medication. I have talked and talked to my nurse practitioner about how much pain I'm truly in. I can't stand long at all because I have a completely deteriated disc plus my knees are shot ( my orthopedic doctors words). I'm waiting to get the ok from my insurance to have gel injections in my knees.
My nurse practitioner is on vacation all this week so I guess I'm heading to the ER. Any advice on what to say to the ER doc? I'm scared. I've never ran out this soon of my pain med. I'm hurting so bad I don't even feel like showering or moving. I need help please! Thank you!
God Bless! ~C~

• OverItAllOOverItAll Posts: 89
    edited 03/30/2015 - 6:35 AM
    I would definitely explain what is going on with detailed honesty, can't the nurse practitioner page an on call dr or prescribe something in the interim? If not, then just bring your records with you to the ER, hope you find some help!
  • I would be honest, but you cant just up your dose because you feel like you need it. It's against all the rules. If you had a pain management doctor, they prob would have dropped you for it. You need to communicate with your doctor before taking more medication....and if they don't agree, then you aren't allowed to just self medicate. I would be honest with all your doctors before something happens and they stop prescribing to you all together...Good luck!
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Bulging discs T12-L3
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Listen to what JillyBean is saying
    It is so true... You just cant decide to increase the amount of medication you are taking. Doesnt matter about your pain levels, you cant do this alone.

If that pain is that great, you need to talk to your doctor to find a solution. Going to the ER might not help you at all. Most of the time, they will not give pain medications to people coming in.

The solution is talking this over with your doctor
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Connie your doctor doesn't want you to become addicted to narcotics. If it seems that your not able to take your meds as prescribed that will not be a good comment on your medical record. Your doctor is here to help you but you really have to follow your doctors prescribed amount and hours it should last. You really have to talk with your doctor about your pain level. I hope the best for you Connie.
  • Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 04/01/2015 - 2:11 AM
    Number, one, you don't take more than what is prescribed under any circumstances. I understand that you may be in pain, but you need to address this with your PCP/GP before you simply take more. A simple test can result in your dismissal and then you wont have any pain meds to fall back on. Think smart and be smart. Narcotics aren't the sole answer with pain management. You will find that these meds take part of that pain away and if you aren't careful, you will forever be increasing that dosage chasing the pain relief that will never come. You need to incorporate other techniques (heat, massage, ice, tens machine, etc...) to effectively manage your pain levels.

Please, under no circumstances, fight the rules. You WILL lose and then you'll be in more pain than you are now. Think twice before you do once. Impulsive decisions will put you straight out the door.

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • brandysue50bbrandysue50 Baldwinsville NYPosts: 46
    How did you run out?? What is the max a day does the bottle say? Don't tell the drs you ran out because they will do a random pill count on you and you won't get anymore narcotics.
  • brandysue50bbrandysue50 Baldwinsville NYPosts: 46
    Never tell the dr you ran out of medicine. They will discontinue your medicine away if they think you are taking over the max dose!! I hope you didnt get the bad luck I did on my random pill count.