Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Artificial disk replacement

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have never been in a forum before. I would like to hear from someone who has had ADR of L4-L5. Have many questions. Thx

• I have had a ADR on L5/S1 if i can be of any help. Tom :D
  • Oh Tom, thank you - you are my first reply. Not many people must have had this done. I am a 61 year old slim agile female who has had serious degenerative bulging disk disease at L4-L5 for two years. Had laminectomy - disectomy in August 07. No help. Multitudes of steroid shots - radiofrequency lesioning - braces - hot - cold - pain meds - PT - nothing has helped. Main pain is in my mid lower back left SI joint (starting now on right side). I am a legal secretary and sit all day which aggravates tremendously. My doctor here in Jonesboro, Arkansas has only started doing ADR's and has done 18 to date. Says I am a good candidate. My thoughts naturally are "What again - what if this doesn't work either?" I have so many questions before I actually make my decision - but it has to be this year because of my age. I have never entered a forum but I joined this one yesterday under this e-mail address I don't really know how to use forums - only e-mails Can you help me please? I have several questions about the ADR.

• Pollibibbs-
    I have an artificial disc at l5-S1 and have had it since 7/2005. I was on a study and received the Keniflex which is not yet approved by the FDA yet. I have had no problems with it.

My advice, find a surgeon that has done more than 18 of them. If the disc is not properly put in, you may have many problems. There are a few members on the forum that have had this done.

Check out www.adrsupport.org for more info.

Sue S
  • Thanks Tom and Sue:

The neurosurgeon is one of the best in his field and I trust him but I may get a second opinion in Little Rock. Here are some of my concerns and questions and I would appreciate any input anyone can give me as to their personal story and experience. This may get a bit long. First the MRI: L4-5: Circumferential disc bulging with facet joint arthropathy. moderately severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis present with impnigement on both L4 nerve roots. No significant canal stenosis. L5-S1: Facet joint arthropathy bilaterally.

Doesn't sound too bad, does it? Then why the horrible pain - mostly left-sided than central beginning in right side (SI joints). I am scheduled for the discogram next week. Basically for two years I have not been able to lead a normal life - play with the grandkids - go on vacation, etc. Okay - my story - now yours and thank you.

1. What were your symptoms
    2. What methods did you try
    3. How bad was your pain around the SI joint area
    4. How soon did you know the ADR worked
    5. Did you have long recovery
    6. What was the worst part of the surgery
    7. How much better are you now - what can you now do that you could not do before
    8. Would you have it done again
    9. Was it worth it
    10. If you work - how long were you off
    11. Do you have any idea what the success rate is now that it is becoming so common in U.S.

• Hi Polli,

There is another site. adrsupport.com that deals with people who have had ADR. Take a look and see. I had L4/L5 ADR Prodisc exactly 4 weeks ago and am recovering as expected. :)
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 06/17/2016 - 12:22 PM
    Hi everyone, I had the Pro Disc L on L5/S1 last november. I injured my back at work and destroyed my disc. I did some research and found the the disc replacement just sounded better than a fusion. I know it is a fairly new procedure but I just wanted my life back. The surgery went well and was in the hospital for 3 days. I was up and walking the next day with a walker. My surgeon was Dr. Edward Saer in Little Rock. I had the procedure done at St. Vincents Hospital. The ortho team they have there were second to none and I couldnt have been treated better. After the surgery, I used a walker at home for about two weeks and havent looked back. When they say to walk alot they mean it. I didn't have to use a turtle shell brace like a fusion. For the most part I am doing well. The only problems are with scar tissue but that is no one fault. I would do it again if I had too.  I tried to make this a link to the ortho center at the hospital. Dr Saer has a video on there about the ADR. There is some good info at this site. I hope I have helped. Fell fee to ask questions or PM me. I will answer you when Im online. Have a great day. Tom ;)
  • I live in Collierville (just East of Memphis) and am looking at ADR. I have worked in the medical field her for many years and know many surgeons, I am not impressed however with the spinal surgeons. They don't seem up to date in this area and don't want to touch you unless you have not had any previous surgery and "statistically" would be a good patient--no joke I was told that. Even though they stated I was looking at about a 50% pain reduction (obviously not enough). Honestly, I am medically extremely literate and understand risks but I can no longer work and am stuck in bed and still sorry you are not bad enough and even then we don't know if you would be a good outcome! Sorry for the vent..have not been able to workout or work and I am really upset by this whole thing.
  • Mom of 7 - I am in the same position. Am looking at ADR as a last resort and am researching everything I can. What are your main problems and symptoms? What kid of treatment have you had in past? I have to work to keep my insurane but it is all I can do to stay over a computer all day. I know what you are going through, hon.

• My name is Dave and I had ADR surgery on jan 11,2008. I had 2 ProDiscs installed at L4-L5 and at L5-S1. I presently have no pain what so ever and my surgeon has cleared me for all activities including golf. I went through one year of pain management and meds with no relief at all. Only after two level ADR was approved and WC relented have I regained my life. I had 2 previous discectomies . I had missed 50% of work in the prior 18 months before surgery. I had buttuck and leg pain with constant numbness in my feet. I tried injections and even a Spinal Chord Simulater that produced no pain relief. My surgeon has done about 100 single disc surgeries but I am still his only patient lucky enough to have my WC approve the 2 level. Contact me with any questions
  • I had L4-L5-S1 fused almost 20 years ago and over the past year I have become totally disabled from the lower back pain and cannot due to that plus I am not allowed to drive a company vehicle while on pain medication. L3-L4 is now herniated and I am concerned if I wait too long the level above that will go and then I won't be able to get ADR since they don't go that high (from what I have read). There are other issues with some facet changes,etc and a nerve root cyst at L4-L5. In the last 2 weeks my big two on rt and now left has dropped and I have to tape my toe up (had new MRI yesterday). I have done PT, chiro, every block they can think of and the SI one is the only one that helps.
    Don't know about your area, but I think I am going to have to leave town to have surgery.
    Even my doc is holding out and really wants me to have ADR vs fusion because of my age and activity level. I was a competative athlete and this lack activity is killing me. Taking care of my kids is enough.
    Germany is not sounding too bad. What is your situation?