Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ideas for dealing with sleepiness from meds

I have been on the Butrans patch and Tramadol for alamost a year. I recently tried to stop the Butrans, but had 2 very bad pain episodes, and so resumed. It just works so well for me.

The only side effect that is difficult to deal with is the extreme exhaustion, especially after taking the Tramadol for breakthrough pain. The combination is just debilitating, and has never improved. I have to work full time, and I hate coming home from work and going straight to bed.

I am just barely making it now taking some 5 hour energy (about 1/3 of a bottle in the am, noon, and dinner time). Anybody out there have a better idea? I just restarted thyroid meds about 5 weeks ago also, and no change.

• I'm taking morphine (again) & I could sleep forever. Ugh!! I've never found a real solution to this. Having a little walk, or hobble around & drinking a very cold glass of water can help a tiny bit...all the usual advise you'd give a 'normal' person about diet, exercise etc. but other than talking to your doc & perhaps changing your breakthrough med I just suffer. ;-(
    Some meds do effect me a lot more than others. I'm sorry....
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • ...until then, I just drink lots of coffee in the morning and take a walk in the afternoon, but to be perfectly honest, I am usually do e for the day by 5 or 6 both in energy and pain, exciting life I lead...sigh.
  • Yeh. Some of us spineys are real party animals!!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Yeah, really, party animals we are not! Somehow with the 5hour energy,, I am able to make it through the work day, come home and nap, cook dinner, then work out (trying to lose that last 20 lbs).

I also started drinking more coffee during the day, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes I feel like I am 90.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    By the time I am off work and home it is 5, Im in my pajamas by 5;30 and laying in bed by 7;00. Sound asleep by 8
    Such a exciting life we live
    If I have plans to go out I take a vacation day, work and after work activities are just too much for me