Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neuraltherapy Injections for Cervical Herniations - Experience?

Hi All, I have herniations at c5/c6 and c6/c7 - with neck pain, left arm pain and weakness. My muscles from neck down into my left arm are stiff.

In Germany (where I currently am, but I am American), they will not operate on the cervical spine unless life or death. They will give injections, prescribe all kinds of stuff like physiotherapy, braces, acupunture, etc.

To start, my orthopedic has given me two injections called "Neuraltherapy" in each side of my neck, one week apart. He said it contains lidocaine and cortisone. I then received a third injection in my rear end of pain meds, each time.

After the first shot, I felt immediate relief that same day. The next two days were very bad - major tension of muscles, weakness worsening, lots of twitching. The 3rd day was awesome. I felt like the pain was less and some strength came back.

I had my second shot yesterday. It feels the same way. Today lots of stiffness and soreness. I am hoping for nice results again on the 3rd day.

Has anyone had these types of injections for cervical herniations, and if so, is your experience close to mine (first good, then bad, then good)?

• I did two of these shots for my cervical disc herniations. I had to take several days off work afterwards because the pain and headache was really bad. I did notice some improvement, but not enough to bring me back to "normal" by a long shot. I ended up having a 2 level disc replacement around 3 weeks after my second shot, which has completely eliminated all of my preop pain.

Also, one of the top surgeons for spine surgery is in Germany.. You might want to get a consultation with him. I'm not allowed to post his name, but you could probably Google it.
    L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015
  • I will take a look around. I do have an appt with a neurosurgeon on the 20th, so I can find out more from him about what available options I have. The shots did not really help me too much in the end.