Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had a panick attack in the operating room

I freaked out seeing all the equipment and the surgical team. I asked to back out like a small child afraid of a vaccine. I follow up with the PA tomorrow. I was scared and seriously made a jerk of myself. After praying for surgery then hearing horror stories and having an anxiety disorder in the first place I blew it. Pray they let me reschedule before I have to redo my HandP and blood work. My primary agreed today I should have premedicated and I have a plan for next time. I am a freak. I hate things I can't control. I can't control my pain or my panic attacks. Sick.
advertisement

Comments

• DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 04/02/2015 - 3:28 AM
    This post broke my heart. You are not a freak, you're human. None of us are perfect and we all have our own struggles we deal with. You cannot control much of anything in life regardless what you're dealing with.
    Please understand you're not alone. We're here for you and we have the same struggles. Surgery is scary, especially when it involves what we are all dealing with -our spine. A person without an AD has reserves and fears when it comes to it, not just you. The positive thing is that you've exposed yourself to the operating room and the whole getting ready process so now you know what you're facing. Make sure the pre-op team understands your anxiety/panic disorder as they can treat you accordingly.

Please don't ever think of yourself this way <3
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • Ask them to give you a little versed ahead of wheeling you in next time. Believe me, you're not the only one who needs it
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 585
    I have developed anxiety attacks as I've gotten older. My surgeon had to give me Ativan (or as I call it "my little white pill") before I could get an MRI. He also prescribed me to take "my little white pill" the morning of my surgery. It really did help keep me calm. Please, just talk with your doctor! He can help you through this!
  • Let me tell you something I have never had surgery, but have
    read posts and tons of other information on here regarding surgery
    and just feel this sick feeling inside so full of fear. I mean even if
    a person is positive about it, it has to be a really scary thing so don't
    beat yourself up.
    Panic attacks are horrible and very difficult to control, no know unless
    they have had one. I have dealt with them for years and it can just take
    a simple thing to set mine off. So many times I thought I was dying and
    had to have my husband come home from work.
    I think you had every right to feel that way and you were not ready
    to take that step. So don't beat yourself up you are brave to even got
    that far and like the others said talk to your Doctor and do whatever it
    takes to feel safe and alright with it.
    Best wishes
    Sherri
  • ReadyforchangeRReadyforchange Posts: 90
    edited 04/02/2015 - 9:02 AM
    My surgery is rescheduled with preop meds in place for April 13th. Thank you for your support!
    Jana
  • TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 274
    edited 04/02/2015 - 9:39 AM
    I'm surprised, they gave me IV valium in preop, right before they whisked me into surgery. I saw surgery for about 5 seconds (I was absolutely fascinated though!) and next thing I knew I was in recovery.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I am in a huge dilemma myself over getting surgery, so you are not alone.
advertisement