Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Six month post ACDF appointment is tomorrow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It was six months ago today that I had ACDF surgery (C4-6 with instrumentation) and tomorrow morning I am scheduled for my 6 month post op xrays and an appointment with the neurosurgeon. At 3 months post surgery the fusion had barely started so I'm a little nervous. Please think good thoughts for me.....

~Kathleen ;)

• :) good luck kathleen
    I'm sure you'll do well tomorrow.i had my two month apt. last month and mine had just started as long as your not having any issues i'm sure you'll due fine.let us know how you make out. How have you been doing since your surgery?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Kathleen,
    At the end of May I went in for my 9 month post-op X-rays of my 4 level
    ACDF with hardware. My neurosurgeon said the X-rays were not revealing
    how much fusion had taken place so at 13 months post-op they will do a
    CT scan which should be more conclusive. I will say my range of motion within the past few months has decreased which from what understand is
    that the fusion is starting to take shape. I was nervous about it as you are
    before but it make take some people longer to heal and the fusion to take hold. I hope all goes well for you, take care.
  • Today was my 6 month post ACDF appointment with the neurosurgeon, and my neck is "fusing "nicely. I have no restrictions except to avoid moving my neck too much from side to side, as that could damage the discs above and below the fusion.

I had lumbar as well as cervical spine xrays this morning, which was a surprise. The neurosurgeon pointed out several arthritic changes/bone spurs in my lumbar spine and also that L5/S1 is almost completely flat. He told me that an anterior lumbar interbody fusion (ALIF) would be the surgery of choice and we agreed that I would return if and when the pain or lack of mobility becomes more than I can handle. I also have really obvious scoliosis in my lumbar spine that he said would require too much surgery to repair, so it will stay! I don't want another surgery so soon and I'm sure this one would be a much longer and more difficult recovery than the cervical surgery. I'm hoping to avoid the knife, but we'll see.

That's it in a nutshell.

Take care, everyone.
  • Hi Ranger:

My spine doctor was telling me after my surgery I will not ever be able to touch my chin to my chest again or have full range of motion back and forth to look over my shoulders like I can now.

I'm kind of wondering how long it will be after surgery it will be before I can return to work. My spine doctor said my surgery would be major and involve hardware-fusion,nuts and bolts I suppose and I don't know what all. I know it will involve somewhere from c-3 to c-7, I don't know if all of those.

I work where I am constantly mousing-keyboarding, interacting with customers in a Call Center.

Thanks for your comments and best to you in your Post-Op visits with the Doctor!

• H everyone
    I am 5 weeks post op 3 level acdf with fusion and a plate.
    i have found that exhaustion is my major complaint. I am in an aspen collar 24-7 which makes sleeping in my bed impossible
    I am sleeping in a recliner with maybe 4-5 hours sleep per night. I go weds for 6 week xrays to determine if I can start weaning from the collar and start physical therapy. Again.. what my doc insists upon. I have had minimal pain with this surgery.. although about a week ago.. i started having a dull and steady ache right at the base of my head..
    i had been off all pain meds since day 8, but have had to start taking them again intermittently for this pain. I am assured that it is normal.. and that it will be better. and could be part of the healing process.
    I know one thing.. I am SICK of this aspen collar.
    I'm a nurse and scheduled to go back to work 4 hour shifts the last week in august. Hope I make that deadline.
    Anyone else have a delayed pain reaction?
    Maybe I stopped pain meds too soon... the pain was always there and I just didnt know it???
    Talk to me
This discussion has been closed.