Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

newly diagnosed with cervical ddd

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
In June I was diagnosed with cervical ddd after seeing my doctor for left arm numbness and neck pain. I don't know if my degeneration is early or advanced (do they know) :? I have been going to physical therapy ever since, I was also started on Tegretol for pain. After 5 weeks I am almost pain free and am considering going back to work. (Im a med-surg RN) I'm scared to death to go back because I don't want to do more damage to my neck.
I graduated May 07 from nursing school and I'm finally living my dream. Oh by the way, I am 39, Yep! went back to college at the age of 35. Needless to say I feel like I've had the rug pulled out from under my life. I've been reading alot about ddd and was so glad to find this forum, it helps to know there are people who understand what one goes through. I hope someone can answer a few questions. Will I always need to take medication or only when I have "flare ups"? Could it be possible that I could go years until I have pain again? (I feel great right now!!) Is surgery inevitable? My physical therapist does not thing I'm a surgery canidate because I've responded so well. I tend to see life through rose colored glasses but I want to be prepared for whats ahead of me. Thanks for your time

• :) Hi Sue
    i would say that if you did so well with therapy then trust what he has to say and don't worry about what might be. You will probably need meds. from time to time for flare ups.Hopefully he has done his job well and taught you how to lift things properly so that you don't reinjure yourself. How do you feel most days now? are you still having much pain? will you be put on light duty when you go back to work? good luck.

• Hi Sue, It's a good sign that your pain is subsiding. The docs have told me that there are people who have DDD and will never know it. I understand your concern not to do more damage. Now that I have been diagnosed, the cervical problems are always on my mind! Surgery is a last resort. Good Luck!---Mazy
  • Neck pain sue
    I am going through a LVN nursing program right now. It is a program where you get your LVN license first and then finish up with your RN. I have wanted to be a nurse forever. I started a family first and then it was my time to do what I always wanted to do become a nurse. One month before I was going to start my life dream of nursing school I was in a car accident and now have three bulges in my neck. I put off school for a semester and now I am in finishing up second semester. One more to go!!! If Med-surg gets to be too much for you there are so many other things you can do as a nurse. That is what I love about the nursing profession. So don't give up or worry to much. I know that Med-surg is a passion for many. My doctors have all encouraged me to continue to pursue my nursing career. I just need to remember to do things correctly. Always lift with my legs never with my back. Just beaware of doing things right. Always ask for help. Your weight limit is 50lbs. There is no adult out there that weighs 50lbs. I have found if you help the CNAs they will always help you. Don't give up your dream. This forum has really helped me emotionally and physically. I know they will help you too. Keep up your spirits and continue on. Life is too short to let this overcome you. Since all of this has happened to me I never take one day for granted. I appreciate every good day and when I have bad days I take my meds and look forward to the good days. That is all I can do. That is all any of us can do.
    Best Wishes,
  • Sue- Physical therapy worked very well for me too.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Sue,
    Do you still have numbness and tingling? If so have you had an EMG?
    If not, keep doing what your doing and continue living your dream career. You have a great attitude so don't throw away those "rose colored glasses".
    I have such a great respect for medical professionals such as yourself, it's
    people like you that make our lives so much better.
    As for your meds, you may have to depend on them throughout your life and they may have to be changed as time goes on and your body develops a
    resistance to them. Surgery may not even need to be considered if you aren't
    having any serious problems and your pain level is managed.
    Take care and keep us all posted here.
This discussion has been closed.