Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My MRI report is here, awaiting follow up(kinda long sorry)

Frustrated101FFrustrated101 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
Greetings all!!!

I just wanted to see if anyone may have a similar condition or could explain the results in lay-mans terms.I am awaiting a follow up and understand no one is a doc just seeking info beyond what I have read.Final impressions are in my sig BTW.

At L1-2 through L3-4 there is minimal facet arthropathy, normal disc height and signal intensity without central or foraminal stenosis.

At L4-5 There is minimal facet arthropathy and mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy bilaterally,also without significant central or foraminal stenosis.Disc height, signal intensity within normal limits.

At L5-S1 there are bilateral chronic appearing pars defects with grade 1 spondylolisthesis of approx. 6 mm.There is disc space narrowing and degenerative loss of disc signal in addition to a moderate annular disc bulge.There is marked bilateral foraminal stenosis, right slightly greater than left.There is no significant central stenosis.Bone marrow signal intensity is normal at all levels.The conus appears to end just below the L1-2 disc.

I have high levels of pain daily(just got rx'd 4 x 10/325 norco to help) just finished a 3x weekly for one month PT sessions(had ran the limit in medicare) and hope to have a massage therapist help with the intense muscle spasms and tightness that make it hard to breathe or relax.I have had 2 instances of urinary loss in sleep as well.

I apologize for the length and big thanks to anyone who reads or has a suggestion.

• I can relate to your pain- are you going to see a NS or OS?

Can you get a scrip for flexerile or some other muscle relaxer? I swear by the flexerile combined with the pain meds at night to help me sleep and keep the muscle spasms under control. I did 3-4 months of MT last year and it made a huge difference.

It looks to me (not a professional) that you have facet arthitis, and spondylolisthsis with stenonis- that is why you hurt so much and have the bladder problems. You also probably a degenerated disc there.

Keep us posted on your diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck,

• I appreciate all input from the "veterans", I will talk with my doc currently my PCP is handling my meds.I do have ativan for my anxiety and am weaning off to open that possibility.

Thank you again and heres to a pain free evening.
  • "There is marked bilateral foraminal stenosis, right slightly greater than left."

Hey Frustrated,
    I too think that this is your problem.If you didn't know,the foramina is the opening where the nerve roots exit the Cauda Equina.If they get narrowed enough,that will compress and irritate the nerve,hence the pain.
    Does your doc know about the incontinence episodes?This could be a sign of more serious issue.Get it checked ASAP.
    The Spondy and Degenerated Disk probably contribute,too.But you know,this is for the good doc to decide.
    Hope you feel better soon!

• Thank you G.

Yes the Docs know and I hope that next weeks visit will go better with my mom present as my advocate.I have really bad social anxiety and my mind races so bad at these meetings, I write a book of notes before I go!!!

I have had to really fight my way through to get this far and I am proud to have done this so far, but I do see the need for possibly a second opinion or a better doc(my PCP is handling the meds) and since there is no immediate need for surgery according to the FNP-C(aka program coordinator) I have never personally talked to a surgeon as of yet.I may get referred after our follow up next week-I hope!!
  • It's always a good idea to have someone with you at the appt.
    Having list of Q's and notes,too.You'll do fine.

Good luck!G.
  • I just recently got my results back from MRI and o have arthritis om facet joints of L4-5, and L5- S1. I also have degenerative disc disease on some of thoracic disc and L5-S1. I have had a couple of yes where I loss control of bladder at night. I didn't think to mention to Dr. I am on neurontin, mobic, and norco. My doctor did the MRI of my lumbar region but wasn't concerned about numbness and pain in my arms and fingers. I think that o probably have pinched nerves or something in my neck also. After I get injections in may I will probably locate another dr