Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated Disc Surgery Overtime please help.

Hi my name is chris and im 19 in july of 2014 i was diagnosed with a Herniated disc I've been dealing with the back/leg pain ever since. As of April 2015 i could manage the pain but it does hurt from time to time. I'm wondering if i should consider surgery or should i wait it out longer? Ive gotten alot better as of july 2014 but not fully. Am i healing? Also if i was to get surgery will it be a bad decision in the years to come?


  • Well, I think I would hold off on surgery until it was absolutely necessary. If you can carry on with your normal activities, and the pain isn't interfering with your life (leaving you unable to walk/stand for more than a few minutes or bedridden) then I'd exhaust all other conservative measures first. Have you done any physical therapy?

    I had 4 surgeries in a 6 month period to correct a repeated herniation. Although each surgery had extremely high success rates, I was the exception every time. It's easy to hear that something has a 95% chance of success, but don't ever discount the other 5% because it can happen and at your age, you would have a very long time to live with the consequences.

    Obviously, there will come a time when you may have to decide to have surgery and that's a different story, but if you're just electing to get it fixed when it isn't really interfering with your life, I'd probably try everything else I could first.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
Sign In or Register to comment.