Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Roll call...... who is having surgery this week? July 7th-14th....

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hey gang looks like there are quite a few of us having surgery this week. I thought it would be interesting to have a thread to keep up with each other and maybe draw some support from each other and from those who already know what to expect.

My surgery is Thursday morning at 8 AM. I am having a 1-2 level posterior fusion using Dynesys stabilization hardware and my own bone. I have donated my 2 units of blood (autologous) in case I need a transfusion. The Red Cross lady said there was a good chance I would need some of it back because my hematocrit levels were so low, they almost didn't take the second unit. I just barely qualified. They took the second unit last Thursday and I just started feeling better today. I also went back to the brace people today to pick up my custom made TLSO brace, that is going to be interesting.... I do think that it will offer me the support I need post-op to feel more comfortable.

I go back to my NS on Wed. to get drawn on and to get my disinfectant soap.

It is all so much to take in. I have had a very long two months to think about my surgery date.... everyday.. I am glad it is almost here.

I really appreciate this site and all the wonderful advice and help!!

Kelly Jo

• PLIF L3-L4, L4-L5 Wednesday. surgery starts at 2pm should be done by 6.

I am nervous for sure! I hate I won't be having coffee that whole day. uugh. but, I have a feeling that will be the least of my concerns! can they put coffee in an IV? kidding!

Good luck to all of you having surgery this week!

• Hello G.

Ask your doctor how much before the surgery can you have coffee. I had my surgery scheduled 1:30 p.m. and they told me I could have a cup of black coffee (no sugar or sweetener) at 6:30 a.m. Si I did and it helped. before that when i had afternoon surgery I could not have any, and by the time I was ready for the OR I had a headache (withdrawal?). Maybe they let you have a small cup too.

Good luck to all July surgeries!

Hope to hear from all of you soon.

Kin :) :) :) :)

• Mine is Wed -- check in at 6:00 am - tomorrow is the all clear liquid diet -- Picked up the last of the supplies today - so I think I am ready!!!

I am having l5/s1 antior fusion - I am pretty nervous but everyone has been positive on this website. It has been super helpful!!!

Good luck to everyone!
  • July 14 L2-S1 with instrumental fusion.
  • I dont have a time slot yet, July 14th ALIF. I can't wait. I have mentally prepared and I just got fully committed mentally. Frankly, even though I will be in pain, I am looking forward to some time off of work to get properly rested. I have been playing tough guy and have worked throughout, standing in front of my computer until I am ready to roll into a ball.

L5-S1 ALIF, God I hope I get some relief, I am not strong enough to go on indefinitely at this level of pain.

• about the time off from work. I feel the same way. I know it's going to be a long recovery but without the stress of work.