Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg weakness

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been having more and more symptoms of leg weakness especially when I am extending my arms over my head. MY Mri showed mild herniation c-5-7 and bulgding c-6-7. I did go to a neuro because of shoulder pain, arm weakness and leg pain, and dizziness. Then I went to a physiatist. He was totally useless. Both doctors said that it is not my neck.
I am not going back to either of the doctors, but I need help somewhere. I think symptoms are getting worse. I don't have time for all this, I am a very active woman with lots of home improvement to do in the next few months. But getting pain and hand going numb with the sever dizziness is making my work very very slow. Any suggestions? I can't just do nothing, but what.
Yes I had done 6 months of therapy, no great relief.

• ....your symptoms and therapy sounds familiar. If those doc's say its not your neck, ask them to tell you exactly what is causing it. So many doc's will refuse to acknowledge that leg symptoms are related to a c-spine herniation. My doc did the same....until he saw my MRI and then immediatley referred me to a NS specializing in spinal cord injuries. Yea....you should probably go find another Nuerosurgeon.

Take care!
  • Silkie-- You may want to take your MRI to different N/S. My problems started with arm/shoulder pain. I was told by the last N/S I visited to let him know about any arm/leg weakness right away. Good luck, and keep us posted.--Mazy
  • hi,i have leg pain and numbness that the ns can't figure out.just wounder if my neck is causing it.had surgery done on c-456 ..i think c-7 wasn't that good.but i also had a double (lam)6 weeks ago.
  • think that you should look into a second opinion.....better safe than sorry. Please let us know how you are doing....take care...Miki
  • Silkie- I have had numbness in both hands for seven months. My MRI indicates a disk extrusion at C3-4 causing severe spinal cord compression. In the past three weeks I have also had leg weakness in my right leg making it very difficult to walk.

I just saw my neuro on Friday and he is referring me to a neurosurgeon for disc removal. He wants it done right away.

I agree that you should get a second opinion.
  • Hi. I'm Elinor (58 years old) and I'm facing my first surgery ever on 8/6. I'm scared. I realize that I have to do this because I have a bone pressing on my nerve and my spine is very messed up from psoriatic arthritis that I've had for 20 or so years. He also is removing discs 3 - 7 or some or all, I'm not sure. We talked about anterior or posterior approach and he decided anterior would be best and he could fix me up. My first symptom came in May when I noticed my left pinkie and ring finger started getting numb. It now is in my right two fingers as well. The NS said if I don't get the surgery done soon I could become paralyzed. That was enough for me to hear! I'm worried about going off my prednisone, anti-inflamatory and Enbrel until after the surgery because I know how worse I will feel w/o them. I didn't get a second opinion. I'm going to someone excellent.

Can anyone tell me exactly how I will be feeling immediately after the surgery and from day to day? I'll have a visiting nurse to change dressings, bathe me, etc. I just can't picture whether I'll be able to type, go outside by the pool, or just lay around? Will I be up for some company the first few days after I get home from the hospital? So many of my friends want to visit. How will I feel? Will I be able to walk? My legs are weak now and I sometimes walk like I'm drunk!

Also, I'm worried about this throat and voice thing that may occur. Is it bad enough where you don't want to eat? Maybe I'll lose a few pounds.

Sorry I'm rambling on and on, but I have so many questions and enjoy reading everyone's emails so much. This is a great site and I'm so glad I found it!

• My legs are getting weaker and weaker, and I am walking like an old lady. i am 45 years old. I am so scared my legs won't get fixed after surgery.

HAS ANYONE HAD WEAK LEGS that got better after surgery??
  • Hi Dhoward,
    I had surgey on 8/13 on C-3 and C-4. I had severe spinal cord compression. Post op, my leg weakness disappeared completely. Prior to surgery for about 7-8 weeks I was walking with a limp and very slowly. Now I am walking normally. I am so grateful that my walking has been restored. Both hands are still numb, but I was told that the numbness takes the longest to recover.
    If you have mylopathy, you musn't wait as your leg weakness will not get better without surgery. Best wishes.
  • brenda
    i do have myelopothy. some days my legs are great, some days i can barely walk. how often did you have leg weakness?
    they tell me they are positive but can't guranatee the legs will get better. i told him they have to....he was quiet.

i'm torn b/w two doctors.
    i''m glad your legs are better. that's awesome. you're not in NYC are you?? :) if so, i want your doctor!!
  • Hi Dhoward,
    Here's the scoop on my leg weakness. My 20 year old daughter was in town and we went to Sea World on a 2 day pass in early June. I live in the San Diego, CA area. We walked all over the place for 2 days, no problem. The last day we were there we went on a roller coaster type ride. Not sure if it has anything to do with anything, but about 10 days later I developed leg weakness. I think I may have jarred something. Maybe not, but the timing is so close. At that time I did not know anything about the warnings of paralysis due to whiplash, etc. My only symptoms at that time were hand numbness.

The leg weakness would be really bad particularly in the morning. I would have to walk along furniture holding myself up and balance myself against the wall if I was walking down the hall. The leg weakness would get better as the day wore on but did not go away. Some days it was better, but I could still not walk normally, always with a slight limp and much slower than normal. I felt the leg weakness daily, but again it was a fairly new development.

I had been to my neurologist about my hand numbness and he had ordered an MRI and asked me about leg weakness. At that time I did not have leg weakness. Then all of the sudden I had leg weakness a few weeks later. By now I had the results of my MRI and was able to report the leg weakness to my neurologist. With my MRI findings along with my symptoms I was referred to a top notch neurosurgeon in San Diego.

In the meantime I was in Urgent Care because I had stepped on a nail (one more thing!) and had a superficial wound and another doctor poked his head out of his office and asked about my limping. I told him I had stepped on a nail, but that was not the reason I was limping. I told him I had a herniated disk extrusion and his response was "C-3-4". Wow, that was exactly what my MRI said - disk extrusion at C3-4 severely compressing the spinal cord. Among other things.

I had surgery on August 13th. Mine was a partial C-3 corpectomy and disk removal below and full C-4 corpectomy and disk below. He placed a titaniun cage with plate and screws and used a synthetic bone material instead of a bone graft. I have felt great since the surgery. No leg weakness at all.

All cases are different. Your leg weakness will not get better on its own. The surgery will stop the progression. It may or may not improve the leg weakness, as no one can make promises, but chances are good it will improve. In cases of mylopathy it is better not to wait (in my opinion).
    Best wishes. If you have any questions about the surgery, let me know. (I am 57 years old)
  • well, finally someone who's doctor can say it's from the cervical! idiot doctors....i've had the legs on and off, like 10 times a year for the first few years, but now it's like once a week. i can't wait much longer. but i'm SO SO happy to know your's got better.

can you tell me about the pain when you woke up? also, how long did you have the legs weakness? mine's been years since being diagnosis but the idiot doctor didn't refer me to a surgeon. lucky for him malpractice has reached statue of limitations.
    . i hope it's not too late.
  • Dave was warned to NOT go on any rollercoasters prior to his surgery. This is probably what exacerbated your condition. But, that may have been a good thing, so it was taken care of before something really terrible (paraysis) happened.
  • Hi,
    Yes, I was very fortunate that I was not seriously injured on the roller coaster. I got the warning on my next neurologist apt. when we reviewed my MRI that I required surgery and that a fall or whiplash could cause permanent paralysis. Up until that time I only had hand numbness.
    I had the leg weakness since mid June, 2008. I have had the hand numbness for about 8 months. My neurologist referred me to a neurosurgeon who agreed that surgery was necessary to decompress the spinal cord. The neurosurgeon said 99% of doctors who saw my MRI along with my symptoms of hand numbness and leg weakness would have the same opinion. Since he is a top-not surgeon, I agreed to have the surgery. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Post op the only pain I had upon awakening was my sore throat and difficulty swallowing. I lived on cream of wheat, applesauce and yogurt the first couple of days. I have had no pain in the incision area or my neck. My voice was weak and horse the first day and normal the second day. I was discharged at noon the day after surgery. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.
    Best wishes. Brenda
  • so...yeah a couple more questions:

did you have an emg and a eepg or whatever?
    did you have a catherter? could you stand up after you woke up? especailly to go to the bathrrom?
    did you stay overnight in the hospital?
  • Hi Dhoward,
    Yes, I originally went to my primary care physician and told him I thought my carpal tunnel was returning because of my hand numbness. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists about two years ago. He sent me to an orthopedist who referred me to a neurologist for an EMG. The neurologist tested me thoroughly and said there was no nerve damage in my hands and that he did not believe it was a carpal tunnel issue. He said I needed further evalualation, something more central like my neck. At that time, I whipped out an MRI that I had back in 2005 when I had a pinched nerve and shoulder and arm pain. He looked at it and asked if they had suggested surgery back then. I said no, we did physical therapy and eventually the arm pain resolved itself. He said he believed my current problems with hand numbness were related to my neck. The old MRI said I had a large central disc protrusion at C3-4 touching and moderately to severely compressing the cord at the C3-4 level. He ordered a new MRI. The new MRI says disk extrusion at C3-4 severely compressing the cord, etc.

Yes, I had a catheter in the hospital. I think it's pretty standard. On your first day/night you are all hooked up to Iv's. The first day they got me up and had me take two steps to a chair and I had my lunch. That was basically all the walking they had me do the first day. They had a wheel chair with toilet that I used in the evening. It was next to my hospital bed. I stayed overnight one night. The next day I was up and walking around the nurses station with the physical therapist. No leg weakness! And walking like normal. I was discharged at noon that day. I am happy to share my experience and answer your questions.
    Best Wishes. Brenda
  • i had an SSEP test that came out abnormal and confirmed my fears about the weakness in the legs...spinal cord damage. so the doctors like you have a alittle more than 50% change it'll get better. who wants to go into surgery thinking that. i want more guarantee.
    did you have that test?
    then i have a chiropractor who wants to do the decompression machine and is begging me not to do the surgery.

i don't know. i'm so confused.

how r u doin?
  • i had an SSEP test that came out abnormal and confirmed my fears about the weakness in the legs...spinal cord damage. so the doctors like you have a alittle more than 50% change it'll get better. who wants to go into surgery thinking that. i want more guarantee.
    did you have that test?
    then i have a chiropractor who wants to do the decompression machine and is begging me not to do the surgery.

i don't know. i'm so confused.

how r u doin?
  • Hi,
    No I did not have the test you referred to.

I know surgery is a tough decision. I just thought of it this way.. with mylopathy you have little or no chance of improving the leg weakness without decompression surgery. A 50% chance is much better than little or no chance... I did not want to take the risk of my symptoms of hand numbness and leg weakness progressing as is the case with mylopathy. I am happy with the outcome of my surgery.

I am doing fine. I am now 4 weeks post op...surgery was Aug 13th. Leg weakness is gone. And I am finally feeling that my difficulty in swallowing is pretty much gone. I'm planning to return to my desk job next week.

Best wishes, Brenda