Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First time poster, long time patient.

Billy1962BBilly1962 Posts: 2
edited 04/07/2015 - 8:03 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi there, Thanks for taking a minute to read this introduction of mine. I call myself Billy1962 on line. You would think Billy is my first name but that would just be to obvious or dumb on my part not to mention what it would say about my creative level. I just chose it at random. That was a lot of typing about nothing wasn't it?

I am a 11 years long Trauma patient, with all that entails. Each procedure or surgery did not become easier to accept as they mounted. Each weeks or months long inpatient stay was in many ways more difficult to get through than the previous.

I did however increase my vocabulary greatly, if only in discussions about fusions, pain, fear, death, Sicu, catastrophic injuries, and in the rare discussions that pertained to the vending machine failures or why is the Lays slot always empty and the Jiffy Pop one always full. Basically I was in a new world now and what I was and who I became had to come to terms and soon.

I was injured in a construction accident (if I say the date and city and you lived in this area you would know what happened and also know information about the medical teams and the hospitals involved and so on) it occurred in Feb 2004 the company I was (and oddly technically still am) employed by were building a six story high end condominium building. It was a sunny and all around warm day for a February in a state just north of Iowa and just below Canada. Who would have guessed I would have reached the peak and end of my career in the building trades in one unforeseen and nightmarish fall from the 4th floor of that still high end condominium building ( it did get completed all the way up to the 6th floor I would hear this news only after waking up from what I would have to say is my first big medical term burned into memory Medically induced coma.....medically induced coma what the hell did they just say it's April?)

My first surgery my first major surgery or major surgeries happened on one day the pelvis guy wanted to "get in there first" but was trumped by the "neuro" guys (they do get paid more money than any ortho guy could dream of getting, but do have to say they are better people persons overall) I had fractured my pelvis and both hips cracked yet not a displacement fracture in sight ( I would later hear quite often that I was very lucky in that regard, Lucky?) The C1 C2 C3 fractures all serious and fortunately for me they only applied pressure to my spinal cord. The fractures below from T7-L5 were by far much worse a mixture of totally destroyed to a laminate fracture. I had a Brachial Plexus injury (still have) Did I mention there were also 32 separate rib fractures, sternum had 3 fractures , I skull fracture (soon to be followed by 3 holes drilled to release "a little pressure". My Left arm did not fare well at all beginning with the shoulder an evulsion with crushed socket and cracked ball, elbow 3 fractures and a crushed nerve canal (nerve was still inside) and the wrist and hand 12 fractures in all but only 5 had to be re broken and reset. (The importance of the left arm injuries vs everything else at the time did not make the cut and 2 years later they would have their day on the OR) Fractured R femur vascular involvement and also my getting a lot of new blood. I forgot however the first ever procedure was the Trach which a paramedic performed perfectly on the patio area where I fell that sunny and oddly warm February afternoon. Not the double surgery deemed "worth it" since I did not die I had mentioned earlier in this now long drawn out bit of writing. What did I know I was asleep and having some very strange "dreams" and my life and my death were now and have been in the hands of people I never met.

The doctor who chose to continue with CPR in the ER, The paramedics who allowed me to breath again and soon would shock my heart two times and get me working again. I owe you more than I can ever repay you . You chose to not quit and those two separate decisions by far are my all time favorites, hands down! (I had to say that it's the least I could say and if they happen to be on this site they will know who they are and my case and now see my gratitude, thank you again!)
Billy1962
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    It sure sounds miraculous that you are on this site telling story. To survive all of those injuries happening same time, aren't you glad doctors chose to have you in induced coma?

You said something about still working for the company? Hopefully, they're supportive to you?
    How are you doing with your healing?
    If you have any specific questions...tour the site..articles and videos and I have used the search for topic of interest to me and read old post. Lots of information here.
    You definitely found great site and group of people willing to share and walk along with you through your journey of healing.
    Please keep us posted!
    Good luck to you, Billie
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History