Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How I lost 80lbs and got my diabetes under control

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
A year ago I got hit with type 2 diabetes. My wieght was a little over 300lbs. Deciding that I did not want the issues that come with diabetes I decided to fight back and loose some wieght.

The diabetes forums are pretty divided when it comes to wieght loss and diet. High fiber vs the low carb group.

I decided on the low carb route. Since then I have lost over 80lbs and am once again looking good in my 6'1 frame.I no longer take diabetes medications

My diet consists of meat, vegetables, eggs and cheese. I suppliment with vitamins and low carb bars. I do not eat sugar, bread, pasta, cereal or any other high carb foods.

Another benifit from eating low carb is that protein contains amino acids that help with various pain control functions.

• :) hi! i see that you are new to this forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you might want to post in the Newcomers section so others can welcome you! you should be so proud of yourself for losing 80 pounds. that is quite impressive. good luck as you continue to lose. you can only feel better and better! hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I was part of the old forums but for some strange reason my account did not carry over to the new ones so ended up recreating my account. :)

• that is quite an accomplishment! I actually went to a weight loss doc years ago and was on the high protein shakes 3 oz lean meat and lost 80 lbs in about 6 months. I have also done the atkins diet and lost considerable weight on that. The only problem for me was the maintenance. If and when you start eating carbs again, I would always gain it back and then some. Good luck for a better maintenance outcome than I had.
  • Bfromaz, Congrats on loosing that much weight... How long did it take you to loose the weight ? years ago I tried the lowcarb and lost about 22 lbs but now whenever I want to go back to it, it kills me not to eat fruits! :D I love eating fruits especially now during summertime...
  • I lost the weight over a 6 month period.

As far as maintenance goes its really not that hard. There are tons of different ways you can mix up meats, vegetables and spices. I do eat some carbs but I am very picky about what I eat. If I am feeling a bit carb low I add some beans into what ever I am eating.

• I lost 40 lbs on LC, and have kept it off now for almost 3 years. I am a female, 5' 3.5" tall, and went from 162 lbs to 122 lbs.

The key is not in thinking of LC as a diet, to be done to lose weight and then go back to "normal" eating. I look at LC as a way of eating for the rest of my life.

I stay LC ~90% of the time, allowing leeway for some in-season higher carb fruits, holidays, and special occasions. But I always go right back to LC. (I do eat berries regularly, as they are fairly LC.)

There is more and more research coming out, showing that LC is safe and efficacious.
This discussion has been closed.