Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello everyone

I'm Patty. I'm 3 weeks post-op from a L3-5 fusion, and doing fairly well. I had a dural tear during surgery that caused some additional pain and swelling the first week, but I'm so happy that I'm only feeling incision site pain now. All the pain I had been experiencing in my legs is gone!
I was slow to opt for surgery (4 years from recommendation)...trying physical therapy, different exercise routines, medications, chiropractic, and 7 spinal injections. I had the most relief from the injections and doing water therapy,but knew eventually I'd need surgery.
I'm using a brace now and trying to walk about 4 blocks 2-3 times a day. Someday I just do a lot of walking around the house. I'm so glad I had this done. I know the surgery pain will lessen with time.

• ScottGKSScottGK Posts: 36
    edited 04/09/2015 - 11:52 AM
    Hi Patty,

Welcome to the site. I've been here about 8 months (since my back pain started). Just a quick message to say best of luck with your recovery. I have been dealing with a small extrusion at L5/S1 for about a year now. Long story short, I've tried everything, and still in pain. Mainly sciatica, some lower back. Like you, I am trying water therapy, and it's helping. I'm also going to try 20 sessions of decompression, see if that helps too. If not, might look into surgery. Trying to stay positive:)

It sounds like you have had a long struggle thus far, and I really hope that the fusion will work, and you get back to a pain free life again. Keep us up to date with your progress ... All the best.

- Scott
    Scott Giles
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    It's so great to share in your good news! It's always great news when someone reports..pain free! So happy for you!
    Best of luck to you in your recovery!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History