Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF surgery recovery time, etc..

Good day all. First of all, this is an excellent forum and thanks to everyone for the very helpful posts. I had a work accident in July, 2014 and have been off work since. A month after the accident I had an MRI and it showed C6 - C7 disc bulging causing the classic left arm pain and tingling, as well as chronic pain in the C-spine area. ( I started going to physiotherapy immediately after the accident but it only made it worse. I am on meds which help but just a little) I saw an orthopaedic surgeon not long after the accident and he referred me to a neurologist who I finally saw yesterday. He says I need the ACDF surgery and is referring me to a neurosurgeon. Hopefully I will see the surgeon soon because the pain has gotten worse since the accident. I know there is risk involved, I have thoroughly done my homework on this topic but the pain in both my arm and cervical spine area is chronic. I have seen many ortho and neuro surgeons over the years ( lumbar spine issues) and they always say they won't operate near the spinal cord until a person can't handle the pain any more. I have a very high pain threshold but I can't take this any more. I will take the risk and get this done asap. I can stay in any position for a few seconds to alleviate pain but it returns. Sleeping is drug induced or I wouldn't sleep at all.

Anyway, my question is: What is the average recovery time? I would imagine months due to the bone graph, etc.. Also, will I be able to return to work afterwards? I am a 55 year old construction worker (residential and commercial). Like I mentioned above, I also have major disc issues in my lumbar spine from a 1984 accident (disc herniation) so the area from L3 to S1 is in bad shape from disc compression and arthritis.

Thanks kindly and any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Have a good day!

• I had C2-C5 ACDF surgery on March 19th and go back to work tomorrow. Doctor wanted me out 4 to 6 weeks but since I have a desk job he said he would agree to 3 weeks. I am still in quite a bit of pain and not all of my range of motion is back so if you have a more physical job you may be out a little longer. It is a slower recovery than I bargained for but worth it so far!! I hear it takes several months to get back to your new normal but it is worth it to be rid of the pain. Good Luck!!
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I was injured at work and ended up with 2 cervical disc surgeries. After my first surgery, my surgeon agreed to me going back to work after 3 months, but only on light duty at the office. I was only allowed to answer the phones. I ended up getting laid off 3 months later & had to have a second fusion surgery 3 months after that. My surgeon has told me that I will never work as a hospice aide again. I do a lot of lifting of patients. Your job in construction involves a lot more lifting than mine did, so I would discuss this with your surgeon. Just remember that surgery doesn't always take the pain away. In my case, it has made it worse.
  • Thanks awarren and Motor1 (Cathy) for your comments. I was curious as I heard that if I had a bone fusion done it could take considerable time to heal. My neurologist and family doctor both have since said they expect I will never do construction work again and maybe a desk job (retraining) is in my future, I have no idea now how long of a wait I have for the actual surgery... wait times here in Nova Scotia are long. I only mention that because the pain is unbearable and I know you're both familiar with that. I'm grateful that there's a place like this site to talk about this and I thank you both again for that. Good luck to both of you in your recovery.