Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did I hurt myself?

I've recovered from my 2011 laminectomy and two-level lumbar fusion. I've also recovered from a fragility fracture in my iliac crest in 2012. Was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Everything healed okay. I've been taking Alendronate weekly since 2012. In addition, I take calcium and vitamin D. I've returned to PT several times over the last few years for hip pain, and had pretty good results. I've been walking with very little pain since last round of PT in December. Continued a few stretches at home. The PT said my ITB was causing my hip and lower back pain.

At work, we park in a large parking garage. Yesterday after work, I didn't have enough space to open my car door fully because ignorant employee parked too close to me. So I was able to squeeze through, but it was pretty tight. I am large, and planning to get gastric sleeve. But right now I'm about 235 pounds, and 5'3". This parking problem has happened to me a dozen times. Usually there is so little space, that I have to get in from the passenger side, and straddle the console, and clear the gearshift to get into the driver's seat. The last time I had to get in from the passenger side hurt me (too much twisting), I had to go back to PT again.

Today, I woke up with a lot of stiffness and pain. Walking at work was very painful all day. It's painful to stand up straight. Came home and took a Meloxicam tablet and applied heat. Please reassure me that I couldn't have injured myself by squeezing into my car. I thought the pain started today because I slept on my side instead of my back last night. I really thought that it would be safer to squeeze in the driver's side, rather than twisting my body like a pretzel to get in from the passenger side. I am praying that this pain is just from sleeping in a bad position, which I know I did.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    .....and moving over consoles to get out of car.
    I'm not sure anyone can reassure you...or tell you the problem except for your doctor. You may want chat with him and possible X-ray.

Not sure where you live, but in the states, I have a Disability placard. In itself does not mean your are disabled and unable to work. There are many considerations.
    With your previous surgery and difficulties with parking and exiting car that you mentioned....I would think you candidate for a placard. Then you would have more room for adjustments and getting out of car.

I certainly hope you are not reinjured...but why not double check with doctor?
    Keep in touch with how you're doing! Best of luck
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Savage,

After the pain pill and heat, it is definitely improved. Thank you for your quick comment. I think I overreacted.

I have had my placard for years. Since walking is not normally painful for me anymore, I stopped using it for a while. But after returning to PT because of the parking issues, I decided to use my placard again (at my husband's urging). Unfortunately, there were no employee handicap parking spots left yesterday!

Ordinarily I would check out the problem with the doctor, but already have too much going on right now, with my upcoming bariatric procedure. I'll see how it is tomorrow. Definitely feeling much better now. Will sleep only on my back, too. That is the least painful way for me to wake up.