Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Extreme pain after RFA and leg weakness please help!!!

I had RFA on my left side lower back a few months back and had what I eapexted to be normal soreness after the procedure. I had 3 nerves burned. It helped a lot with my pain. I only had 2 really rough days post op and other than that I had an easy recovery and great results. So I went straight ahead on March 30th with having RFA on my right side. Same thing, 3 nerves were burned in my lower back, but it's been a whole different experience this time round. This RFA made me worse. It's been 11 days I'm still having the pain I was having before the right side RFA and now it's worse. My entire right side of my lower back and buttocks still feels raw and like I'm being stung by bees. I'm getting stabbing pain in my lower back, buttocks, hip, groin, and thigh. And now to top it all off I'm having severe muscle weakness in my right leg. When I'm sitting, standing, or laying I can hardly lift my right leg at all. I'm also having decreased sensation in random spots my right leg and my right foot. (It feels like after you are numb and your skin is starting to wake up but isn't quite there yet) I still have skin areas on my back that are completely numb, like zero feeling whatsoever. My PM doc had me go to the ER today for an MRI because of the amount of weakness I am having in my right leg. My PM doc is out of town so we have only been able to talk on the phone since my RFA. There is no spinal cord involvement that can explain the leg weakness showing up on the MRI from today. When the ER doctor called my PM doc because there was nothing jumping out on the MRI and he wanted to get my PM's doc opinion on what do do now, he told him to send me home. Which I think was the right call because there was nothing more the ER could do for me. But I never got any answers as to why this is happening. I have an appointment with my PM doc on Tuesday and I will express all of my concerns but I don't know what he is going to be able to do. I feel like what's done is done and now it's just a waiting game. has anyone experienced anything like this? TIA
Kristie H

• I had several rfa's and never had anything like that. They were sore for a couple of days and then fine. Could it be a coincidence, and something else in your back acted up at the same time??
  • When I had my left side RFA I had nothing like this. Few days of soreness and muscle spasms when I moved the wrong way but nothing like this at all. I also had a fusion with disc replacement in 2001, L4 L5 S1 so maybe there is something going on with that. But it's just awful. My PM doc thinks it will get better with time but really has no idea why this is happening.
    Kristie H
  • Had RFA done 2 weeks ago on my lower back (right side). Dont understand why my knee buckled the same night, and swelled. Every time i walk my knees and shins hurt then i have to rest every 10 minutes to keep walking. Back of my head hurts alot. The other weird part is the inner parts of my inner ditch of my elbow and inner ditch of the back of knee feel like a sun burn. The only time i dont feel all of this is when im laying down, then fall asleep. The next morning i wake up good, until i start my day (walk, standing etc.) im currently on oxycodone 15mg and flexeral and another inflamation meds. I called the doctor but hes been too busy. I made an emergency appointment with him a week from now, its the only time hes available. Dont know if i should go to the ER. Will it get worst if i dont. How can they find out what went wrong? through mri, catscan? blood work? Could it be wrong nerves that were zapped? Could it be reversable??
    Any body ever had this experience?
  • Hl33HHl33 Wisconsin Posts: 1
    I would be really interested to know what levels you had done. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I just had my second RFA done 2 weeks ago. I had T12, L1, and L2 done. I had the first one done in December of last year without any problems. I had some procedure pain for a week but this time is different. I am in excruciating pain. I have pain going down my leg and I have burning pain in the upper part of my butt and hip that feels like I have an open wound or burn if I lay or sit down or anything touches it on top of the deep internal pain. I can hardly move.  I can barely stand to have clothes on. I called my pain dr and they said it it's normal and it's just from inflammation and can take 6 weeks to get better. I am not buying it. They put extra cortisone in there the day of the procedure because when they were doing it I had shooting pain in this area. I don't know how I will deal with this for 6 weeks. It's crazy painful. 
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hello H133
    This is an old discussion the member who created it has not been in since so will not respond.
    I am going to close the discussion, I suggest you create a new discussion with help from the link.

Please click on the link for useful information

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.