Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 fusion, new pain 3 months after surgery

I underwent an L5 S1 fusion and disk decompression and cage insertion a week before Christmas 2014, I returned to work 9 weeks after the surgery with no pain under the impression I was completely fixed, but 2 weeks after that , after a strenuous day (completing a resuscitation at work) I started to get pain, it started as a dull throb and it's just got worse and worse to a mega throb, to the point where I'm back on Buprenorphine just to get through the working day, I haven't seen the surgeon since treatment and my post op is still a month away. Anyone experienced this and if so can you give me any idea what it could be, I'm dreading I may have broken something or fusion has failed, I don't think I could face revision surgery.
advertisement

Comments

• I had the same surgery 2 years ago, and it has been a constant new pain journey. The levels above and below your fusion now have more stress on them, and you are also still in the early days of fusing. I can't tell you how many xrays and mri's I had, thinking I damaged something.

You went back to work a lot faster than I did. It also sounds like you overdid it a bit. Hard not to sometimes, but try to take it easier. You have a long way to go.
  • Gosh that fills me with dread, I was totally pain free until I went back to work, most would probably say I should change my job, but I'm a nurse and I do love it! I do now think maybe I went back to work too early, maybe I should try and calm things down, did you have a lot of swelling? I seem to be odeamatous around my middle, did you experience this? that's why I'm wondering if I've snapped something.
  • I am a nurse also, had the same surgery 4 weeks ago. Did u do,rehab ? Theresa
  • No Theresa I didn't have any rehab, I did see a physio and they were concerned about the amount of numbness I had in one of my legs so the sessions were stopped, with them requesting an urgent appointment to see the surgeon. I think that's the one I will going to in a months time!!! So no pretty rubbish after care and no rehab.
  • So I never did any after mine. As for swelling, there must have been alot because I was attached to my heating pad constantly! So much so that I scorched the capillaries in my butt and back! Not pretty!

I definitely would ease back a bit, at least until you have seen the surgeon
    There have been cases of hardware problems after surgery.
  • Nightnurse74NNightnurse74 Posts: 6
    edited 04/12/2015 - 6:40 AM
    Yeah I know I need to calm it down as I'm definitely not going to recover, I've decided to pay to see a neuro surgeon next week if I can find a surgeon., I need some answers! Have you returned to normal now has the swelling completely gone?
  • Pretty much normal, at least a new normal! It has been 2 years and I work and exercise and pretty much do what I want but I know I am on meds for life. No way around it. If I overdo it, I pay for a couple of days but ok daily.
advertisement