Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good Morning from a Newbie

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Lisa, I'm 41. I was hit as a pedestrian back in 2001. I have had L4-L5 fused with spacer, L5-S1 fused with spacer & 4 screws, C5-6-7 fused with a plate & 6 screws. I've also had 2 knee surgery. I am still in pain everyday. I recently had the SCS implanted, which helps with leg pain, not so much in my back.

Have a great day....hope to get to know you all soon!

Lisa
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome Lisa...

I am glad you have joined us..You will find a wealth of information here and many supportive members!!

Christy
  • :jawdrop: Ouch!
    We are happy you found us Lisa! It sounds like you have been through A LOT!

• Hi Lisa, I too am new here. Bless your heart, you have so many things going on in your back! No wonder you hurt all the time.

I also have chronic pain low back pain and sometimes leg pain. My L 3&4 was fused in 2004. I began thinking I'd done the right thing sometime in 2006. Then I had to go into surgery for a block steroid injection because my facet joints in L 5 were inflamed and very arthritic. Now, my 3rd disk is bulged [maybe ruptured, because my back popped and something moved since my MRUI in FEB.] has gotten very badly worn, is leaking causing me the same pain as a herinated disk. My surgeon wants me to have another fusion, L 3. He said if my previous fusion is good, he'd move all the hardware up one level. Although, my pain is driving me nutts, it's still a hard decision! For, I know what an awful surgery a fusion is along with such a long recovery!

Praying your day is better!!
  • :) Hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i hope the implant will be able to let you get your life back on track. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Hello Lisa and welcome to the forum. Wow, it sounds like you've gone through so much.. I'm sorry about that but best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do....
    Educate yourself real well before you go for surgery.

Lotus
  • Lisa ,I am so glad that you found us. You have been through so much in your life and now you don't ever have to go through anything alone again...you have all of us. Please keep us posted about how your doing.....take care....Miki
  • Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I was on another board years ago.....I have been looking for a new one. You all seem so nice. It's great to chat with people who know what you're going through.
  • Welcome to Spine Health Lisa

I agree there are many other forums out there and it's hard to know which one's are really there for the members.

I know that you will find Spine Health to be large, but also large at heart and full of information and definitely here for the members.

If you feel up to it, PM me some time. I love to talk to others who have SCS's. Mine is not quite 2 months old and the most phenomenal invention I've ever come across.

Take care,

"C"
  • Hi, I just found this message board and figured it would be a perfect place to ask. I have DDD and had two back surgeries, a laminectomy of L5-S1 in 2001 at age 32 and a repeat in March 2007 after it herniated again. Relatively pain-free since. And I've been fine, but terrified of exercise because I was convinced my second herniation was caused by sit-ups I tried one night on the living room floor.

So now at age 40, I joined a gym a month ago, got a personal trainer & explained my back concerns. We've been going slow. But already I'm having trouble with sciatica - this time on the right side whereas previous problems were on the left. Now, I can't even walk for 15 minutes without seriously aggravating the nerve. What exercises are available that won't kill me? I'm terrified of wrecking my back again. Surgeon said next time would probably require a fusion, and that sounds awful. I don't expect to ride horses, water ski or parachute out of planes. But there's got to be something I can safely do. I was not sent to a PT after either surgery. Neither surgeon (different for each time) seemed interested in the idea. And again, I've been fine - until now when I want to exercise. Thought?
  • I am pretty much in the same boat as you with the scs. I have back and leg pain. The scs helps the leg pain TONS, but doesn't help my back very much. I'm able to do more activities than before the scs, but I wish it would've taken care of the back pain more.

Welcome to the group... you will really love the people here!">image
  • Adele,

I saw your message this afternoon. I had been thinking I was alone with the arm-pit pain until I read that you too have the problem! I also have had the epidural shots (3 years ago) for C4 - C7 disk problems and have RA. I have just finished two months of physical therapy having neck traction to try to relieve the pain under my arm. Most of my pain is in the left arm pit, the top of my shoulder, lower back, and in my neck. I have several minor tears in the shoulder that do not require surgery right now but the doctor seems puzzeled by the arm pit pain. The PT helped relieve some of the pain but it is back now. I would appreciate hearing if you have received any feedback on your arm pit pain problem or if anyone else out there has had similar problems and what suggustions you could offer.
advertisement