Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 months??? Desperate for anyone with similar condition or symptoms what steps did you take

there seems to be very many different "terms" used to describe the surgery on has endured. I was told I was having a microdisectomy , however as I got further in after surgery, due to pain 2 weeks after left side minimal but increased on right, I learned I had a laminectomy as well as the microdisectomy, which I researched on my own because I had the rarest of disk herniation which is an extrusion. Jelly ballons up pushes out and breaks off and lodges into the nerve. I did not have any instrumentation just the disk fragment removed from the nerve. I too felt great first 2 weeks followed drs instruction to T even had a family member come stay with me...What brought me to Dr. was all left sided leg pain from an injury, shoveling snow and fell, never had any back pain. But MRI confirmed the disk extrusion. I too started having pain about 2 weeks after surgery. Left sided and now right sided my surgeon did a post surgical MRI. Came back with scar tissue but doesnt look to be right sided and report said possible re herniation but from disk dr didn't feel he saw anything to suggest re herniation.
I unfortunately am 12 months post op from my surgery call it what you will no instrumentation and two failed post surgical epidurals one severe, a "wet tap" no patch just bed rest recovered in 5 days...I had toradol, I had steroid packs ..I've had land PT water PT, traction, have had 9 mris , one radioactive bone scan, which had an uptake at T 7???whats that???? I had full arthritic lyme, blood work, xrays, a nerve test which I question because I had been on valium at the time of the test then I read later in an article you should not take a sedative drug with this test????and aside fromLast MRI read granulation l4 l5, scar tissue and some neuroforaminal encroachment?

But all still left sided nothing to explain---- severe right sided pain----- back is a dull ache,now because its had surgery I'm sure I have soft tissue swelling below incision site but I've described its like sitting on a rock on the right buttock for hours and my tail bone is so predominant now my pain doesn't go down the back of leg like most sciatic sufferers... mine goes around hip increase of where your hip sits and travels over top of leg into inner thigh feels like a vice on the nerve sometimes into the lower extremity. Sometimes numbess and leg weak ness hardest to get up in the am.. Ive been diagnosed since surgery with SI joint, femoral nerve dysfunction, periformis, I don't think many doctors diagnose this, but every time they try something to help these conditions they just cause more pain...including PT...So now neuro surgeon is suggesting what ever you call disk removal and instrumentation and fusion and clean up scar tissue, I am going to bring to his attention on Monday when we discuss that I did read on another thread that someone had particles from their laminectomy that did not show up on the MRI which is what I feel may be happening in my case maybe something so untraceable by test that they can only see once going in ?? is rubbing against this scar tissue, has itself wedged into a nerve and because my activity brings on pain maybe its freaking out my peripheral nerve system???

Has anyone had something going on but drs really could "see" until they were in?

Unexplained pain on opposite side since surgery? Brought on by activity or sitting but NOT DOWN BACK OF LEG over the top to inner thigh????

My next step which freaks me out is surgery, and I just want my quality of life I can deal with a few flare ups but this is 12 months of constant...and answers or similarities please post...desperate....THANK YOU
This can't be happening

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    edited 04/11/2015 - 5:34 PM
    My initial injury was when I was 8 years old but 40 years later here I sit. I've 2 surgeries in the lumbar area, laminectomies to L4-5, L5-S1, S1-2 (yes I do). I'm working with a pain clinic now trying to resolve pain issues. From regular x-rays I now know I also had a bone graft in my lower back. There are bone spurs, arthritis, bulges, herniations, words I forget. From emergency room x-rays the other night adding hip, knee, foot....

I think I have to say, "Stop the surgery." My first surgery in 1998, thankfully, the neurosurgeon went in not knowing what he was going to find and he helped so much! But imagining wasn't where it is now. But I don't want more surgery because, like you my pain is not where they believe the damage is. Imaging says "Right side" but pain, numbness, loss of strength is all on the left. In prior surgeries it had always been the right but now, even sitting here now, it's the left.

I'm been reading all sorts of articles where there can be a mirror syndrome and the pain affecting the opposite side. But I want a doc to tell me this.

I, too have a bunch of medical appointments coming up in the next few weeks. I want to say, "Just fix everything" but what fixes one issue creates a new one!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • Wow aside from out surgeries its exactly what Im saying everything in tests show it should all fall "left" sided but mine continues to be right sided and severe I get "twangs" and it feels like its starting to affect left side and goes away, which I would accept as normal since I am recovering from a"surgery" but it is tolerable. RIGHT SIDE is yelling at me....I had one dr who is a friend cardiologist who was the one who mentioned the peripheral nerve so thats where I started researching more. I've researched as if I were a med student been given a case to figure out like the show "house". I to would think there is some kind of as you say "mirror" affect here...are you here in the states? Ive noticed a lot of our threads on here are people from UK who treat a bit differently there. Not that that is a bad thing, I just have noticed there treatments and meds are different.
    The risk with surgery is always there and I know what your saying...but at 48 and loss of job and that there are drs saying they do see things to warrant a surgery, just dont know. I have heard many people go into surgeries for various illnesses and Dr comes out after surgery and says well we never saw that on any of "the tests".... Maybe thats where I am at?

Keep me posted on yours and thank you for the reply I try to reply on a lot here to think my information wether good or bad may help someone else if anything. I will end with your name because i too am "plumb tuckered out" and just want to have a fix...
    This can't be happening