Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heat and ice

I would like to know what information you know about using heat and ice

I've been using a hot water bottle for 15 minutes followed by a bag of ice for 30 kinite a on the area where my slipped disc was 3 times a day for a week now

I hear so many contradictory advice for this. I even heard one person say to use ice for 20 minutes every hour

I'm 2 weeks into recovery for a microdiscectomy on L5/S1

• I personally had a lot of nerve damage before my fusion and although I had surgery, the nerves are still irritated after going through such trauma. Ice is great to decrease inflammation, but shouldn't be done for more than 30 minutes. I have found heat to intensify any nerve pain. Do what works for you, and only if it is comfortable. After surgery the last thing you want to do is bring on more pain, which can make muscles and nerves worse off than before and make healing slower if u r tense. Best of luck!
  • I went in the sauna once with sciatica and inflamed so much it was so bad... Heat is not good for sciatica

But I have a hot water bottle to place on my back

I'm still don't know for sure whether to use this post surgery