Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lumbar interbody fusion (alif) surgery with cage implants and bone grafts - back spasms -cramps in

Hello All,
I am a 40 year old male that just had done anterior lumbar interbody fusion (alif) surgery with cage implants and bone grafts harvested from my own hip bone in L4, L5, & S1. This was on the 3-12-15 in San Diego. I spent 3 days in the hospital and everything went well for the most part. I was able to walk on the second day (very painful), Now I am suffering from major back spasms -cramps in my lower back. This started exactly 8 days after the surgery. My surgeon put me on Valium as a muscle relaxer. Apart from my pain killers percocet and fentanyl patches.I wanted to see if this was common and most important (passing by) hopefully. I am really suffering -- every day for me. I think twice juts if I have to get up to go to restroom or just get out of bed. The back spasms/cramps hit me for about 30 to 50 minutes long. I try to do control them with deep breathing but no luck to painful. I am really close to going to ER sometimes. Any info is appreciated. Now just a few days ago I began on April 6 to be exact experience sciatica on my right leg shooting pain down my right hip/buttocks, goes down the back of the leg. All the same pain I had experience for the last 3 years that were on my left leg /side only. Never my right side leg now I'm dealing with this. It's horrible I feel my pain level is higher on my right side from what was on my left side before ALIF surgery. I have spent my last few days in bed mostly. Just getting up is a task and getting back into bed that sciatic pain make me a grown man that has been hurt in the past almost break into tears in front of my family. I hope this is something just passing by due to my recent ALIF surgery in 03/12/15. I am eating away at my pain killers like they were candy. I know this is bad but even before, I never had to take that many pills prior to my ALIF surgery. Plus I have to get back to work ASAP to protect myself/job and with all these pain issues just no way. I can barely walk a block at snail pace without leaning on something or taking a breather. Please any past history similar to my current experience or ideas I should do or follow let me know! I truly will appreciate help from everywhere here and above.

• I don't know what you were expecting or what your dr told you, but this is a major long-recovery surgery. I was mostly in bed for 4 months and I only had 1 level done! I am 2 years out and am still on some pain meds.

But anyway, for the cramps, try adding Magnesium and Potassium. A lot of the pain meds, I have found, suck potassium right out of your system. I take 2 potassium and 1 magnesium a day ,plus the magnesium will help with constipation.

Believe me, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I thought I would be up and about and back to normal in a few weeks. I had had other surgeries before, so I figured, no sweat. Ha! Not in this case. But overall, even though I still take meds, and have a new normal (I really hate that term but it is true), I feel like the surgery was a success. I work full time, work out 5 days a week, and pretty much do everything I did before.

Once your surgeon is done with you, find a great pain management dr. I think my surgeon quit prescribing around 6 months.

Good luck and keep in touch. Pm me if you want.