Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cauda equina compression on MRI but pain 90% better - do I need surgery?

stefan80sstefan80 Posts: 3
edited 04/12/2015 - 3:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
Am I likely to heal without surgery?

MRI from 1 week ago shows "prominent posterior disc prolapse at L2-L3 causing spinal stenosis and cauda equina compression". GP asked me to come-in urgently after seeing this report - I passed all neurological tests. No cauda equina symptoms - no pins and needles, no numbness anywhere at all, never had any bladder, bowel problems.

I am now waiting for an appointment with a neurosurgeon for an initial assessment and recommendation.

My pain was severe 3 months ago but is 80%-90% gone now - is this an indication that the prolapse may have been much bigger and has reduced, and potentially will continue reducing and thus I won't need surgery? I am surprised the MRI showed this a disc prolapse after i've already improved so much (and continue to improve, even if very slowly).

My pain became severe 3 months ago when I went to pick up something small off the floor. Symptoms were - radiating pain into my butt, groin, quads. I never had sciatica, and never any pain below the knees. Straight leg test was also negative - i could raise my leg without any pain. Bending forward, and sitting was completely impossible for 1-2 months. I was mostly in bed for weeks. Over these 3 months, the pain gradually went away and is now 90%+ gone. That said - the pain returns if I sit for too long, walk, or have sex. I am able to work from home so for the past 3 months I have done almost zero sitting - I converted my desk to standing desk and after I the pain was bout 50%+ better I started standing at my desk and taking frequent rests on my bed, horizontal (no sitting at all). Perhaps this helped.

I was also doing stretches, and some lower back strength exercises - though only in the past 1 month (before it was too painful).

Previous to this I had suffered with a milder variation of these symptoms for 4 years but usually after a good night's sleep the next morning I was pain free, and depending on my activity level the symptoms would get aggravated by the evening. If it got worse I eased of exercise for a few weeks which would usually help. Perhaps a disc bulge had been there for all that time and 3 months ago it became bigger and more pronounced.

There is nobody on the forum medically qualified to give advice, all responses will be based on members experiences

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • wbasmithwwbasmith Posts: 4
    edited 04/12/2015 - 9:52 AM
    I would not rush into any surgery. You are fortunate to have recovered as well as you have. There is the options such as cortisone injections and physical therapy you still have. I have used these and instead of 5 surg. In as many years I have been mostly pain free for 12, if that makes sense. Òne surgery makes the lower spine more suseptable to strain and injury. I wish I was aware of this when I had my first one. I would have been more cautious of how I did things . We take our backs for granted . Good luck in your findings but be cautious.
  • Your neurosurgeon should give you professional advice. I would ask what the risk of future degeneration / herniation is and whether or not stabilisation surgery is recommended. If you're still suffering symptoms when sitting, that might mean that the bulge is still there and you are compensating for it through your lifestyle changes. But, bending down for a small item again may put you back where you were before. As Wbasmith said, don't rush into surgery if you can avoid it as there are risks associated with fusion such as adjacent joint damage but, a successful fusion would remove the risk of spinal cord damage at L2-3 and let you continue on regardless. There are plenty of success stories as well as unsuccessful ones, with success rates running at about 70%. I'm no doctor, but I think L2-3 is a rare disc to herniate as it doesn't move as much as L4-5-S1 so you may be less likely to have problems with adjacent discs.

Be guided by your medical professional, ask for a second opinion if you're not sure ( good doctors shouldn't mind this), and then make your decision based upon what they tell you and what information you can glean from sites like this.

I had CES symptoms as well as horrendous leg pain and numbness in my left foot. I had a successful L4-5 fusion 7 weeks ago. The leg pain, numbness and the CES symptoms are gone. I have lower backache as a result, but I can live with that.

Hope that helps. Please let us know how you get on.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • Thanks for the comments. I have a quick update.

I saw a neurosurgeon (private in the UK, still waiting on NHS appointment) and he advised that we wait and watch. His prognosis was optimistic, and said that given the progress I've made to date he believes I'm likely to recover without surgery. He advised physio and generally being careful i.e. no bending, lifting etc. He also advised a re-scan in 6 weeks.

Interestingly, he said my herniation is small (though MRI was taken 3 months after the herniation happened, so he also admitted that we don't know what it looked like 3 months ago when it first occurred), however, size of the herniation really is relative to the size of your spinal canal. He said that I have a naturally very small spinal canal and therefore even a small herniation could be problematic. He said the space for the nerves looks "tight but not critical" and more importantly he said we need to treat my symptoms, not the MRI. Since my symptoms are minimal (in fact almost none by now) he said we need to watch and wait and no need to think about surgery at this time, despite tight view on MRI. I continue to avoid sitting - I sit maybe once or twice/week for no more than about 15 mins. Yes my social life suffers but I meet friends for walks or they come visit me at home. I work from home and using a stand-desk now, but still with very very frequent rests in a horizontal position.

I *think* that I occasionally feel some weird sensations (kind of like heat) in my right foot, but I don't know if this is my head or not since they are very subtle, and they did not occur while I was in pain (or maybe they did but I didn't notice). And I could have always had those sensations, but prior to my disc herniation never paid attention to them. I don't know. I get this maybe one evening per week. I told the neurosurgeon, he said not to worry about this for now.

I've started walking on a treadmill about 3-6 km, usually 2 days on, 1 day rest (plan to gradually increase). I do various of the popular core and butt strengthening. I have not experienced any pain during any of these. Couple of months ago I could not walk more than 10 mins without starting to get various pain.